"Barcelona - The capital of Catalunya" Barcelona by HORSCHECK

Barcelona Travel Guide: 9,539 reviews and 21,846 photos

In may 2003 I was 3 days of my Spain trip in Barcelona. Barcelona (population: 1,7 million) is located less than 150 km from the Pyrenees at the southeastern coast of Spain.

The vibrant city is girded by the Monjuic and Tibidabo hills, which offer panoramic views of the town and its harbour. The most famous sights of Barcelona include the busy market boulevard La Rambla and the works of architect and designer Antoni Gaudi like La Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell.

Last but not least Barcelona has plenty of cafes, bars, pubs and restaurants for a rest and for tasting local and international specialities.

"Tourists don't know where they've been, travellers don't know where they're going."
--- Paul Theroux ---

• Pros:Panoramic views of the city from the hills.
  • Cons:Smoke over the city which can be seen from the hills.
  • In a nutshell:Catalan metropolis at the shores of the Mediterranean ocean.
  • Last visit to Barcelona: May 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 7, 2003

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Hi Holger, after eight years I decided to have another look at your Barcelona page. It brings back nice memories of my extended visits to Barcelona in the 1960s.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I didn't walk too many miles of the Oregon Trail...just enough to get thirsty. Sort of like when just outside of Pamplona I walked 2 miles of the Camino....I didn't get much respect from those that had walked 100's of miles.;-) Congrats on Moenchengladbach getting into the euro cup competition

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM

We came to Barcelona back in the good old days when Newcastle played in the Champions League :-) We did see some sights as well as the match (and the odd bar!) but still I can see from your tips how much we must have missed. Let's hope for a return visit one day!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2011 at 1:23 PM

You have wonderful tips and pictures. On our way back from Germany, we stop here to get on cruise ship back to US. Thanks for the tips.

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Excellent tips here .We loved the city-The people-the transport and even the numerous Gypsies!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Wonderful Barcelona travel pages. They certainly bring back fond memories of our trip to that city several years ago. Montjuic, Sagrada Familia and La Ramblas were our favourite attractions in the city. ~ho & pang

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2010 at 7:23 AM

35+ years since I was last in Bracelona - now - June 2010 - I'm going back. Your pages remind me of all the city's treasures. I'm counting the days!

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2010 at 6:48 AM

I spent only a long weekend here; looking at your marvelous pages I am thinking, when I can return. Many places are waiting for me. Best. L.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Eur7 for a sandwich in 2003 thats criminal! good pages here Holger

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2009 at 5:48 AM

Great page on Barcelona Holger. The Arc de Triomf is especially beautiful as is the Plaza Espana. I also enjoy cities where you can easily walk to see the main attractions.

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Barcelona

Have you been to Barcelona?