Madrid Things to Do Tips by HORSCHECK
Madrid Things to Do: 1,960 reviews and 3,245 photos
Retiro Park: Palacio de Cristal
Take a stroll in Madrid's largest park: Parque del Buen Retiro. There is a lake with the Alfonso XII monument where you can hire boats. The Palacio de Velazquez and the Palacio de Cristal are located in the centre of the park and are well worth seeing.
Directions: The main entrance to the park is at the Puerta de Alcala (Plaza de la Independencia).
Metro: Retiro or Atocha
Estacion de Atocha
The Estacion de Atocha is one of the main train stations of Madrid. The beautiful old station building (1888- 1892) is constructed in metal, glass, and polished stone and houses a kind of winter garden with an indoor tropical garden.
Directions: The Estacion de Atocha is located near the southern end of the Paseo del Prado.
Plaza de Cibeles
The Plaza de Cibeles is a very busy roundabout with a fountain in the middle. At the south eastern side is the Palacio de Comunicaciones (1905-1917). This impressive building houses the General Post Office of Madrid.
Directions: The Plaza de Cibeles is at the eastern end of the Calle de Alcala.
Metro: Banco de Espana
At the Plaza de Castilla are two leaning office buildings, also known as KIO Towers (Kuwaiti Investment Office) or as Puerta de Europa. They are 114 m heigh, have 26 floors and were finished in 1996. Moreover there is a memorial and a fountain at the Plaza.
Address: One of the busiest and more touristic
Directions: The Plaza de Castilla is at the northern end of the Paseo de Castellana.
Metro: Plaza de Castilla
Gran Via: Telefonica building
Stroll along the famous Gran Via, which is one of the main arteries of Madrid. Until the 60´s it was the splendid street for shops and the heart of the nightlife. Nowadays it is is a site for cinemas, middle class hotels and amusement centres. Many buildings with its ornate facades and structures are still worth seeing (e.g. Telefonica- and Metropolis building).
Directions: The Gran Via connects Plaza Espana and Plaza de Cibeles.
Metro: Gran Via or Callao
Estadio Santiago Bernabeu
The Estadio Santiago Bernabeu is the home of Real Madrid and it is a all-seater stadium (capacity: 74.300). It is a really impressive building including a museum about the club and its trophies. See also my Sports Travel Tips.
Address: Estadio Bernabeu, Concha Espina 1, 28036 Madrid
Directions: The stadium is located near the northern half of the the Paseo de Castellana.
Bus: 14, 27, 40, 43, 120, 147 & 150
Metro: Santiago Bernabeu
Puerta del Sol
The Puerta del Sol is one of the busiest Plazas in the centre of Madrid. It is a good starting point to explore the city. At the Puerta del Sol is the Bear Statue, the Kilometre Zero Marker and the Casa de Correos building. The area around Puerto del Sol is crowded with bars, cafes, shops and stores.
Directions: The Puerta del Sol is in the centre of Old Madrid, just east of Plaza Mayor.
Building at Plaza Mayor
The Plaza Mayor is the main plaza of Madrid since 1620. In the middle of the Plaza is a horse statue (Felipe III) which is the perfect meeting point for VT meetings. In the past the Plaza was used for bullfights, nowadays under its arches are stores, restaurants and tapas bars.
Directions: The Plaza Mayor is a short walk west from Puerta del Sol.
Metro: Sol, Opera
Plaza de Espana
The Plaza de Espana is a big public Plaza with a green garden, a fountain and the famous Cervantes Statue. (1915). Around the Plaza are two monumental buildings of the Franco era: The Edificio Espana (107 m) and the Torre de Madrid (124 m).
Directions: The Plaza de Espana is located north of the Placio Real and at the eastern end of Gran Via
Metro: Plaza Espana.
More Reviews (19)
- See All Plazas y Puertas de Madrid
- See All Street signs of Madrid
- Tapas Hopping with VT friends
- See All en Madrid - What`s on
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Madrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "¡Bienvenido a Madrid!/Welcome to Madrid!"
- "Madrid is where I live"
- "Madrid: My home for 3 fantastic weeks!"
- "Home is where you're always from"
- "WONDERFUL MADRID"
- "As we say in Andalucia, Madri"
- "Hablemos de Madrid (Let's talk about Madrid)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madrid
- Hotels in Madrid
- Transportation in Madrid
- Nightlife in Madrid
- Restaurants in Madrid
- Shopping in Madrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Madrid
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kampong Sengkurong Hotels
- Mönchaltorf Hotels
- Obernhausen Hotels
- Independant State of Samoa Hotels
Badges & Stats in Madrid
- 28 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 55 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Madrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madrid
- Posted in Travel Faro Forum "Re: travel from malaga-spain to..."
- updated a Madrid Travel Page "Madrid - Capital of Spanish Nightlife"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Madrid - Capital of Spanish Nightlife"
- Commented on one of Bwana_Brown's Madrid travel pages
- Wrote a Review Plazas y Puertas de Madrid about Streets and walking in Madrid Favorites
Photos in MadridSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo Intro, 44 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 45 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 42 reviews, 117 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi Intro, 36 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Madrid hotel reviews
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Eco Alcala Suites
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 28, 2013
- Petit Palace Londres
- 139 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Galicia Hostel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 25, 2012
- Silken Puerta Madrid
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- Palacio Valderrabanos
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Suites Kris Aeropuerto
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 3, 2013
- Petit Palace Puerta del Sol Hotel Madrid
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hostal Villar
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 29, 2013
- Petit Palace Italia Hotel Madrid
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 30, 2013
- En Busca del Tiempo
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 1, 2013
- Hostal Dominguez
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 19, 2012
- H10 Villa De La Reina
- 198 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Hostal Rober en Madrid
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Gran Atlanta Hotel
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Retiro Park- 123 Reviews, 245 Photos
- Prado Museum- 151 Reviews, 216 Photos
- Plaza Mayor- 141 Reviews, 250 Photos
- Puerta del Sol- 82 Reviews, 133 Photos
- Royal Palace- 118 Reviews, 219 Photos
- Almudena Cathedral- 65 Reviews, 131 Photos
- Bullfighting- 54 Reviews, 73 Photos
- Reina Sofia Museum- 51 Reviews, 72 Photos
- Gran Via- 44 Reviews, 71 Photos
- Cibeles Square- 49 Reviews, 77 Photos
See All Madrid Things to Do