"Helsinki - Queen of the north" Helsinki by HORSCHECK

Helsinki Travel Guide: 3,705 reviews and 7,550 photos

I have been to Helsinki twice (July 2002 and June 2005) and spent all in all 8 days in the Finnish capital. Helsinki was both times a sort of starting point for trips to the neighbouring countries (Estonia, Latvia and Russia).

Helsinki is home to about 550.000 people. With its long sunny days in summer when the sun sets after 10:00 p.m., it is a perfect city for all sorts of outdoor activities.

It is full of interesting sights, parks, shopping opportunities, cafes and restaurants. The touristic centre around the Market Square with the famous white Helsinki Cathedral, the Russian-Orthodox Uspenski Cathedral and the Esplanade Park is a wonderful scenery for a stroll or a rest with people watching.

Helsinki is a perfect base for trips to the Suomenlinna Sea Fortress, the old Finnish capital Turku or the quaint village of Porvoo.

"I watch the way the sun sets until the night's inside you"
--- Stuart Adamson ---

• Pros:Long sunny days between mid June and mid August.
  • Cons:Long dark nights during the rest of the year.
  • In a nutshell:Wonderful city and perfect starting point for trips to the bordering countries.
  • Last visit to Helsinki: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 20, 2008

• breughel's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2013 at 1:35 AM

I followed you virtually on your trip to Helsinki because I was there for business in the late sixties and never went back so that the evolution of the city is interesting for me.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Hi Holger, Wishing you a great Gluhwein meet. We will be there only in spirit...but will toast you all with a home made batch tomorrow.;-) I finally got my Shutterly photo book from our Macedonia trip. A lot of great memories. Best, Karl ps..say hello to everyone for us..

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2011 at 2:24 PM

A great page on Helsinki! So many helpful tips for all kinds of transport. The towns outside of Helsinki look really pretty and worth the visit.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2011 at 3:28 PM

They certainly have a wide array of nice monuments and large ornate buildings. This is a nice presentation by you

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2011 at 2:13 PM

10/10 page Holger!Love your Photos especially the Transportation.

• pure1942's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2009 at 6:23 AM

Great page and pics as usual Holger. Really enjoyed my short stay in Helsinki last May. Suomenlinna was the big highlight for me. Actually I stayed in that Torni hotel you mentioned. Thanks for sharing

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Wonderful page filled with very useful information. Your photos show that you must have enjoyed wonderful weather during your visits. Thanks for visiting my pages too!!

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2009 at 7:02 PM

I really enjoyed my tour through your eyes!!

• timada's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Nice trip in a wonderful town ! Thanks for sharing it ! Your photos are super .

• zaffaran's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Good, informative page- as usually! Hope I'll use some of your tips!

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Helsinki

Have you been to Helsinki?

Latest Activity in Helsinki