"Helsinki - Queen of the north" Helsinki by HORSCHECK
Helsinki Travel Guide: 3,707 reviews and 7,682 photos
I have been to Helsinki twice (July 2002 and June 2005) and spent all in all 8 days in the Finnish capital. Helsinki was both times a sort of starting point for trips to the neighbouring countries (Estonia, Latvia and Russia).
Helsinki is home to about 550.000 people. With its long sunny days in summer when the sun sets after 10:00 p.m., it is a perfect city for all sorts of outdoor activities.
It is full of interesting sights, parks, shopping opportunities, cafes and restaurants. The touristic centre around the Market Square with the famous white Helsinki Cathedral, the Russian-Orthodox Uspenski Cathedral and the Esplanade Park is a wonderful scenery for a stroll or a rest with people watching.
Helsinki is a perfect base for trips to the Suomenlinna Sea Fortress, the old Finnish capital Turku or the quaint village of Porvoo.
"I watch the way the sun sets until the night's inside you"
--- Stuart Adamson ---
- Pros:Long sunny days between mid June and mid August.
- Cons:Long dark nights during the rest of the year.
- In a nutshell:Wonderful city and perfect starting point for trips to the bordering countries.
The erection of a midsummer pole on midsummer eve (24th of June) is an old Finnish tradition dating back to the late... more travel advice
Stockmann is the oldest and biggest department store in Helsinki. It is part of a chain with branches in Finland,... more travel advice
- See All Old Market Hall
- See All Daytrip to Porvoo
- See All Map of Helsinki
- See All Sightseeing tour on tram 3T/3B
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Helsinki Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Home"
- "Helsinki - bears, skaters and religion"
- "19/1 Just returned from Helsinki"
- "Where Slavic charm & Nordic simplicity meet"
- "Helsinki at your service"
- "Helsinki, this is where I come from"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helsinki
- Hotels in Helsinki
- Transportation in Helsinki
- Nightlife in Helsinki
- Restaurants in Helsinki
- Shopping in Helsinki
- Warnings and Dangers in Helsinki
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helsinki
- 34 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 30 Forum posts
- 94 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Helsinki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helsinki
Photos in HelsinkiSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- London Intro, 65 reviews, 177 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baku Intro, 43 reviews, 170 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yerevan Intro, 42 reviews, 165 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Prague Intro, 49 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue