Göteborg Things to Do Tips by HORSCHECK Top 5 Page for this destination
Göteborg Things to Do: 346 reviews and 567 photos
The colourful Utkiken is probably Goteborg's best known landmark. The lipstsick shaped building was completed in 1989 and designed by Ralph Erskine and Heikki Särg.
At 86 metres it includes a cafe with panoramic views of the town and its harbour.
The Utkiken can be found in the Lilla Bommen area, which is the harbour for sightseeing boats in the centre of Goteborg. The nearest tram stop is "Lilla Bommen".
Fish Church (Fesekekorka)
The Fish Church (Fesekekorka) is the fish and sea food market of Goteborg. The building was opened in 1874 and resembles a church.
It was an architectural experiment of military man Victor von Gegerfelt. A wonderful iron statue of a fisherman, a fish vendor and a dog can be found near one of the main entrances.
The Fish Church (Feskekorka) is located at the Rosenlundskanalen near the southeastern end of the city centre. The nearest tram stop is "Jarntorget".
The Crown Fortlet (Skansen Kronan) is one of the three fortresses which were built during the 17th century to protect Goteborg. Nowadays it houses a military museum of uniforms and weapons. The Crown Fortlet is situated on a little but steep hill which is also an excellent viewpoint.
The Crown Fortlet is located on top of the Skansberget in the Haga district. The nearest tram stop is "Hagakyrkan".
Goteborg's Opera House
Goteborg's Opera House was inaugurated in 1994. It was built after plans of the architect Jan Izikowitz and is nowadays one of the most modern buildings in the city. The classical style auditorium has a capacity of more than 1300 seats.
Goteborg's Opera House can be found in the Lilla Bommen area, which is the harbour for sightseeing boats in the centre of Goteborg. The nearest tram stop is "Lilla Bommen".
The Sailor's Tower was erected to commemorate the sailor's who lost their lives at sea during the First World War. On top of the Sailor's Tower there is a figure of the sailor's wife.
The 62 m tall column can be climbed for scenic views, but you already get a nice view of Goteborg's harbour area just from the steep terrace where the Sailor's Tower is located.
The Sailor's Tower is located east of the city centre, just next to Goteborg's Maritime Museum. The nearest tram stop is "Stigbergstorget".
The Christinae Church (Christinae kyrka) is Goteborg's German church.
It was inaugurated in 1648 and named after queen Kristina. After a fire the church was rebuilt in 1748. The 42 bells were introduced to the bell tower in 1961.
The Christinae Church is situated near the harbour canal, just behind the old city hall. The nearest tram stop is "Brunnsparken".
The Masthugget Chruch (Masthuggskyrkan) dominates the silhouette of Goteborg as it is located on a little hill.
The national romantic style church has a 60 m tall tower and was built in 1914. Its location offers splendid views over Goteborg and the harbour area.
The Masthugget Church is situated west of the city centre. The best way to get there is to take a tram to "Stigbergstornet". Form there it is still a 10 minutes walk uphill.
Goteborg's Cathedral (Domkyrkan) was built in 1815 on the ruins of two earlier churches which burnt down in 1721 and 1802.
The neo-classical building was designed by the architect C.W. Carlberg.
The Cathedral is located at Vastra Hamngatan in the middle of the city centre. The nearest tram stop is "Domkyrkan".
Gustav Adolfs Torg
Gustav Adolfs Torg is a centrally located large square which forms the political centre of Goteborg. The square includes the Old City Hall (1673), the New City Hall (1937) and the Stock Exchange (1849). Apart from that a statue of Gustav II Adolf who founded Goteborg is situated in the middle of the square. Gustav Adolfs Torg was formerly named Stora Torget.
Directions: Gustav Adolfs Torg is located at the Big Harbour Canal (Stora Hamnkanalen) right in the heart of teh city centre. The nearest tram stop is "Brunnsparken".
Haga Church (Hagakyrkan)
The Haga Church (Hagakyrkan) was built in the middle of the 19th century. The architect of the Neo-Gothic style building was inspired by churches in England. In the well preserved interior a baroque Brombaugh organ can be found.
The Haga Church can be found in a little park of Goteborg's Haga district. The Haga district is situated southeast of the city centre. The nearest tram stop is "Hagakyrkan".
More Reviews (25)
- See All Explore Goteborg on foot
- See All Port of Goteborg
- See All Money: Swedish Crown
- See All Football
- See All Official Tourist Guide
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Göteborg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A nice place to grow up in"
- "Henrik's Göteborg page"
- "Where the seagulls cry"
- "Goteborg - Sweden's maritime city"
- "Heaven should be spelt: "Gbg"."
- "IFK Göteborg - king of the town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Göteborg
- Hotels in Göteborg
- Transportation in Göteborg
- Nightlife in Göteborg
- Restaurants in Göteborg
- Shopping in Göteborg
- Warnings and Dangers in Göteborg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Nisida Nikouria Hotels
- Castelnuovo di Garfagnana
- Zions View Hotels
- South Tidworth Hotels
- Livigno Hotels
- Solana Beach
Badges & Stats in Göteborg
- 35 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Göteborg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Göteborg
- Posted in Travel England Forum "Re: Are there any day passes for..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fish Church (Feskekorka)"
- updated a Göteborg Travel Page "Goteborg - Sweden's maritime city"
- Commented on one of marielexoteria's Göteborg travel pages
- Wrote a Review Explore Goteborg on foot in Göteborg Transportation
Photos in GöteborgSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 185 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo Intro, 44 reviews, 127 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 45 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 42 reviews, 117 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi Intro, 36 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (126)
Latest Göteborg hotel reviews
- Hotel Albelle
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Hotel Lorensberg
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 29, 2013
- Avalon Hotel
- 141 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Elite Plaza Hotel Goteborg
- 110 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel
- 293 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- City Hotel Avenyn
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2012
- Hotel Gothia Towers
- 245 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Ibis Goteborg City
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- Slottsskogens Vandrarhem
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 28, 2013
- Kville Hotel
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Novotel Goteborg
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Elite Park Avenue Hotel
- 109 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013
- Comfort Hotel City Center
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 4, 2013
- Dalagarde Vandrarhem Hostel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Scandic Backadal
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Liseberg- 36 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Avenyn- 12 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Riverside & canals- 34 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Fish Church- 8 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Marstrand- 4 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Haga quarters and Church- 16 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Götaplatsen & Art Museum- 21 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Maritiman Maritime Centre- 10 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Downtown- 12 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Trädgårdsföreningen- 9 Reviews, 20 Photos
See All Göteborg Things to Do