"Goteborg - Sweden's maritime city" Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg by HORSCHECK

Göteborg Travel Guide: 942 reviews and 1,858 photos

Over Easter 2006 I spent a long weekend in Goteborg. With a population of 490.000 it is the second largest city in Sweden and one of the most important port towns in Scandinavia. Goteborg offers many interesting sights, a lively city centre, green parks and a picturesque coastline.

As on most of my previous trips to Scandinavia I stayed in a private Bed & Breakfast, which gave interesting insights into the local life. A visit to the football match of IFK Goteborg vs. Helsingborg at the old Gamla Ullevi stadium was another amazing experience on this trip.

Only a few cities in Scandinavia have a tram network; Goteborg is one of them. Although most sights are within walking distance to the city centre, the trams are great for excursions to the outer areas of the city like Roda Sten near the Alvsborgs bridge.

"God gave me travelling shoes and I knew that it was time to go."
--- Jim Kerr, Home ---

• Pros:Lively city with interesting sights and friendly people.
  • Cons:Rumours say that it can be very rainy in Goteborg.
  • In a nutshell:Goteborg - Sweden's maritime city.
  • Last visit to Göteborg: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 17, 2012

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Very interesting page, Holger. Looks like a very maritime city, indeed. That Ullevi stadium is pretty famous, even I have heard of it :-) Too bad about the beer.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Great, creative opening photo!
    Nice to read about a place that sell's reasonably priced food!
    Lot's of helpful tip's, thanks for sharing!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I can see that I should see more of Sweden one day! This looks a lovely city, and I see we could even get here directly from Newcastle! It's great that you had so much sunshine in a place rumoured to be rainy, and that you got to go to the match :-) But it's strange that your Bed & Breakfast accommodation didn't include breakfast, although I would enjoy looking after a fluffy cat for the weekend ;-)

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2010 at 6:44 AM

Useful tips about things to do and places to see in Goteborg, including Fish Church which is not a church. I agree with your opinion about the trust Scandinavians have for others. I had a similar experience in Finland.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2010 at 4:07 AM

I'll be there in one month! (helpful tips)

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2008 at 10:54 AM

So many new buildings since my visit in 1979 ;-)))

• Leipzig's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2007 at 2:45 PM

Brilliant page, Holger. Beautiful photos. Most of time I attract bad weather on holidays - so I did in Göteborg - so I don't think it is just a roumor. - I liked the architecture of the Ullevi Stadium.

• gubbi1's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2007 at 7:45 AM

About your 'cons' I just can say that there is always a good chance for a wind blowing the rain away... ;) nice page!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2007 at 9:58 AM

I have been to Göteborg by cruise ship and I bought some excellent cranberry sirup in the markethall.

• Dec 11, 2006 at 4:48 AM

Dear Sir/Madam, Couyld you send us the prices of midibus from kopenhagen airport to Göteburg on 15th. July. 2007 and from Göteburg on 25th. July. 2005 Thank you very much and waiting your urgent reply. Regards, Eser MUTLU TUREX- Promotion & Organisation

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Göteborg

Have you been to Göteborg?