"Lucca - Historical gem of the Tuscany" Top 5 Page for this destination Lucca by HORSCHECK

Lucca Travel Guide: 569 reviews and 1,435 photos

In August 2004 I travelled from Croatia via Slovenia to Italy through Mediterranean Europe. After Zagreb, Ljubljana and Venice I visited Lucca in the Northern Tuscany.

Lucca has all the charm of a tuscan city, but seems to be less touristy than some more popular places in the Tuscany. The compact Old Town with its small alleys is completely surrounded by thick medieval ramparts. Among the main sights are the famous Torre Guinigi, the Roman square Piazza Anfiteatro and the Duomo di San Martino. Nowadays Lucca is well known for its many banks.

The highlights of my stay were the meetings with my VT friend from Lucca and a daytrip to the stunning coastline of the Cinque Terre.

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes."
--- Marcel Proust ---

• Pros:Historical walled town; perfect base to explore the Tuscany.
  • Cons:Relatively expensive place.
  • In a nutshell:Historical gem of the Tuscany.
  • Last visit to Lucca: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 22, 2011

• LakshyaR's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2014 at 8:00 PM

welcome to virtual tourist ..!!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2014 at 10:12 AM

How nice it looks with trees on top of the tower!

• Oleg_D.'s Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2014 at 1:02 AM

Thank you for virtual tour to the land of Castruccio Castracani!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Nice page! Lots of interesting sights to see here and the surrounding area!

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2011 at 9:59 AM

I spent a night in Lucca on the way to Tuscany and reading your tips brought back good memories. I really liked Piazza Anfiteatro and we even managed to walk the city wall. Lovely trattoria for a mini VT meet :)

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2011 at 10:47 AM

We've just booked a week in Tuscany for June, so I hope to visit Lucca, as well. I enjoyed reading your tips here. BTH, thanks for visiting my Laos page.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I am sure I would have visited this place with pleasure... Thanks for your story~! ><><><><

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2010 at 5:14 AM

Wow - Lucca and surroundings are certainly beautiful. The San Michele Church in Foro is esp. wonderful. Odd to see Oak Trees growing on top of the Torre Guinigi. Don't think I've ever seen anything like that before.

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I passed the city many times by, but never visited. However, I have heared, the downtown is not echoing from the scooters, but from bicycle bells.Thanks for the Budapest ratings. L.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2010 at 2:49 PM

I bought a guide book for Lucca 10 years ago but have not been there yet! I'm moving it higher up my list of places to visit after reading your interesting page and Tips. Thanks Holger.

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Lucca