"Trieste - Italian city of grand architecture" Top 5 Page for this destination Trieste by HORSCHECK

Trieste Travel Guide: 751 reviews and 1,977 photos

We combined our attendance at the 8th offical VT Euromeet in Bergamo, with a 2 weeks trip through Northern Italy. At the end of this trip we stayed four days in Trieste in the north eastern corner of Italy.

Compared to other Italian cities, which I visited in the past, Trieste's architectural styles are totally different and diverse. The touristy city centre is dominated by the grand neo-classical buildings at the main square Piazza dell'Unita d'Italia. Other interesting sights in the city centre include many churches of various denominations, such as a Serbian Orthodox Church, a Greek Orthodox Church as well as several Catholic and Evangelical churches.

Many famous writers have spent at least parts of their lifes in Trieste. Among them are James Joyce, Rainer Maria Rilke, Italo Svevo and Umberto Sava who are all commemorated by statues, plaques or at least hiking trails which are named after them.

Trieste is also the ideal base for side trips to the surrounding area. We took the chance to visit Muggia, Gorizia, Opicina and Miramare. The last two ones are still within reach of Trieste's public transport network.

"There are no classes in life for beginners; right away you are always asked to deal with what is most difficult."
--- Rainer Maria Rilke ---

• Pros:Diverse architecture; beautiful squares; grand buildings.
  • Cons:No train connections to Slovenia.
  • In a nutshell:Italian city of grand architecture.
  • Last visit to Trieste: Jun 2012
  • Intro Updated May 15, 2013

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Holger - You have sold Trieste to me! It looks a lovely city by your photos and descriptions!

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2013 at 2:11 AM

We staid, many years ago, in Lignano and visited Udine but did not think of visiting Trieste. We should have when I read your reviews.

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Very nice page, Holger! All excellent information, tips and wonderful photos of Trieste! You made the town seem very appealing and a worthwhile stop. I thought Castle Miramare had beautiful architecture as well as occupied one of the most beautiful settings in town.

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Excellent page! It is quite diverse interesting town :) Maybe could visit Italy this year :)

• Carletto76's Profile Photo
      May 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Hey Raimundas, let me know if you come to Trieste, I work there now! ;)

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Hello Holger! Guess where I'm going at the end of this year???

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Hi Holger, Trieste is on my itinerary for my trip back to Europe in September 2013. Your page has convinced me that this is a place that I will enjoy. Thanks, Kate

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2012 at 3:17 AM

I love your opening shot of the canal. Was surprised to see the statue of Joyce here though - we might almost be in Dublin ;-)

Thank you for reminding me that I want to visit Trieste one day! When we do, I'll remember your accommodation tip in particular, as it sounds very good and central, and also the ideas for interesting side trips.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2012 at 3:24 AM

I miss Italy when reading your tips, it is so beautiful - and your photos are fantastic. I didn´t know there was a Serbian church there - thanks for the info :)

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Great page, Holger - as usual!!!!

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Great Trieste page Holger! I've been there many years ago and just remember visiting the castle...

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Trieste

Have you been to Trieste?