"Trieste - Italian city of grand architecture" Top 5 Page for this destination Trieste by HORSCHECK
Trieste Travel Guide: 751 reviews and 1,977 photos
We combined our attendance at the 8th offical VT Euromeet in Bergamo, with a 2 weeks trip through Northern Italy. At the end of this trip we stayed four days in Trieste in the north eastern corner of Italy.
Compared to other Italian cities, which I visited in the past, Trieste's architectural styles are totally different and diverse. The touristy city centre is dominated by the grand neo-classical buildings at the main square Piazza dell'Unita d'Italia. Other interesting sights in the city centre include many churches of various denominations, such as a Serbian Orthodox Church, a Greek Orthodox Church as well as several Catholic and Evangelical churches.
Many famous writers have spent at least parts of their lifes in Trieste. Among them are James Joyce, Rainer Maria Rilke, Italo Svevo and Umberto Sava who are all commemorated by statues, plaques or at least hiking trails which are named after them.
Trieste is also the ideal base for side trips to the surrounding area. We took the chance to visit Muggia, Gorizia, Opicina and Miramare. The last two ones are still within reach of Trieste's public transport network.
"There are no classes in life for beginners; right away you are always asked to deal with what is most difficult."
--- Rainer Maria Rilke ---
- Pros:Diverse architecture; beautiful squares; grand buildings.
- Cons:No train connections to Slovenia.
- In a nutshell:Italian city of grand architecture.
We arrived in Trieste by train from Bergamo with a change of trains in Brescia and Mestre. The total trip took a bit... more travel advice
In June 2012 we stayed 4 nights in the hotel Albergo alla Posta, which is located in a renovated historic building right... more travel advice
HORSCHECK's Related Pages
Trieste Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Habsburg Empire + Italia + Jugoslavija = Trieste"
- "paoseo's new Trieste Page"
- "TRIESTE - TRST"
- "Trieste - Italian city of grand architecture"
- "J's Journey to Trieste"
- "A Hapsburg Delight"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trieste
- Hotels in Trieste
- Transportation in Trieste
- Nightlife in Trieste
- Restaurants in Trieste
- Shopping in Trieste
- Warnings and Dangers in Trieste
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trieste
- 30 Reviews
- 115 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (75)
Have you been to Trieste?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trieste
Photos in TriesteSee All Photos (115)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 71 reviews, 230 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 59 reviews, 189 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 57 reviews, 190 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minsk Intro, 54 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 61 reviews, 175 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Intro, 50 reviews, 150 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo Intro, 44 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 45 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 34 reviews, 130 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 42 reviews, 117 photos