"Vernazza - Pearl of the Cinque Terre" Top 5 Page for this destination Vernazza by HORSCHECK

Vernazza Travel Guide: 246 reviews and 809 photos

During my trip through Mediterranean Europe in August 2004 I stayed a few days in Lucca in the Tuscany. As the Cinque Terre was always ranked high on my "Must Visit" list for Europe and due to lovely sunny weather I decided on the spur of the moment to take a daytrip by train to the Cinque Terre.

I left Lucca early at 9:00 a.m. and returned at 10:30 p.m., which was in fact enough time to get a good idea of this lovely coastal area. The Cinque Terre consists of 5 little fishing villages that are situated at the bottom of steep cliffs.

The 5 villages are Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso. They are linked by a stunning coastal path and by a railway line. The street is located much higher on the hills.

I have chosen Vernazza as the destination for this page, as I spent most of my time there and as it is in my opinion the nicest of the towns. Nevertheless, you'll find information about all 5 places here.

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
--- Yogi Berra ---

• Pros:Gorgeous rocky coastline; quaint villages.
  • Cons:Packed with tourists in high season.
  • In a nutshell:Perfect base to explore the Cinque Terre.
  • Last visit to Vernazza: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 23, 2011

• starship's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I really should put Cinque Terre on my wish list! Your photos reveal just how beautiful this area is!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2012 at 4:42 AM

Lovely Vernazza travel pages. The city indeed is a great place to relax, visit and explore. Torre Aurora and the harbour certainly look amazing. We hope to visit the city one day. Thanks for sharing. Thanks also for visiting our Norway travel pages. ~ho & pang

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2012 at 1:17 PM

We had hoped to get this way one day-but after the Dresden trip the next is to Munich/Romantic Road. Your ics and comments are very good

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2011 at 2:09 AM

Wow! Great opening photo! Interesting reading about this pretty area, makes me want to see it for myself!

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Holger, Brilliant tips and photos! But, where is the pizza? You eat pizza everywhere else in the world -- but not in Italy? (haha) Cheers, Bill

• cpiers47's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Very nice tips and pictures! I've enjoyed the 5 Terre as well and can't wait to return.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2009 at 11:55 PM

This sounds like a great day trip from Lucca! The Chinque Terre must be a nice area to explore by walking and I do hope to visit some day. Vernazza looks like a place I would very much enjoy - the view from above is amazing!!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2009 at 3:20 AM

All I can say is "Wow!" - what an absolutely lovely area, esp. for walking. The coastal paths must be so wonderful and scenic. Thanks for the virtual tour Holger.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2008 at 9:19 AM

What a lovely dose of Italian sunshine on a chilly February day :) But no food or beer? That's not like you ;)

• pecsihornet's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2008 at 8:39 AM

Thanks for the tips! We will see the villages live in June:-))

HORSCHECK

“.: The less you look the more you find :.”

Badges & Stats in Vernazza

Have you been to Vernazza?