"Kashgar! (or 'Kashi' - Chinese name for Kashgar)" Top 5 Page for this destination Kashgar by Wanderboy43
Kashgar Travel Guide: 115 reviews and 270 photos
I spent a total of 5 nights in Kashgar, and I can definitely say it's cold (it's November).
Just as you may have heard, the Sunday Market is great (Camels for sale!), and the atmosphere is excellent.
It's most interesting to see the conflict between the Uighur and Han cultures. There is serious tension, though basically the 2 groups stay apart.
Also, just being in China is great as you can get very good and incredibly cheap massages - I've only had 4 so far in 5 days. They last 2 hours and cost $5-$8. Also great food here.
I've most enjoyed observing the Uighur culture by strolling through the markets and old city neighborhoods. The kids are great, and it's funny to watch crowds of Uighur men standing around dealing in cell phones or leather jackets hidden under their jackets. They have this shifty eye look!
You really can feel a sense of culture amongst the Uighur people, as shown in their dress, crafts, and music. What a cool place!
- Pros:Interesting Uighur culture, good food, massages!
- Cons:Han/Uighur tension. Lame backbackers. My personal website is censored in China-how annoying!!
- In a nutshell:The Han are here! This place is being developed!
I had a nice day walking outside the town (heading North), and ended up coming across this gravesite. Very simple and... more travel advice
Wanderboy43's Related Pages
Kashgar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kashgar 1992//Kashgar 2007"
- "Kashgar! (or 'Kashi' - Chinese name for Kashgar)"
- "History Of Kashgar"
- "Silk Road Part ii"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kashgar
- Hotels in Kashgar
- Transportation in Kashgar
- Nightlife in Kashgar
- Restaurants in Kashgar
- Shopping in Kashgar
- Warnings and Dangers in Kashgar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kashgar
- 16 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Kashgar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kashgar
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kashgar Intro, 16 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kabul Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Almaty Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Peshawar Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Bogotá Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hunza Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Fergana Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Xi'an Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Chitral Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lahore Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
Latest Kashgar hotel reviews
- Seman Hotel
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013