"Krazy for Kabul" Top 5 Page for this destination Kabul by Wanderboy43
Kabul Travel Guide: 139 reviews and 289 photos
I arrived in Kabul from Peshawar, Pakistan. The trip over the Kyber Pass was great, but nothing compared to the mountain passes just before arriving in Kabul. I've done a separate travellog with some of the photos.
On my first evening, electricity went out various times. By 10p, the streets are pretty much deserted and my hotel was gated up.
On the second morning I walked around, and stopped for tea. In the back courtyard, 50 or so men we're yelling/cheering; turns out it was a cockfight.
There is definitely evidence that life here has not been the easiest as of late. Children and adults begging (and shop owners generally giving money to them). Lots of activity around the sale of basic stoves/fuel. No working street lights/crosswalks.
One highlight has been the incredible number of kites in the sky.
It was great to walk around the city, watching the day to day life, and avoiding stepping in the drainage ditch between the road and sidewalk
- Pros:Signs of rebuilding. Friendly people, feels safe during the day
- Cons:Many signs of destruction from the last decade, still not completely safe
- In a nutshell:Very interesting city; glad I went
After taking a taxi out to the (closed) Kabul Museum, I took a bus back into the center. I was surprised how nice it... more travel advice
THere's a bookshop with tons of photos (some, like this one is a reproduction on thinner paper) more travel advice
Wanderboy43's Related Pages
Kabul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The once magnificent city of Kabul"
- "Kabul - a city yet to be loved"
- "Afghanistan - The land that was"
- "Krazy for Kabul"
- "Kabul City, Afghanistan"
- "The Exotic and Ancient Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kabul
- Hotels in Kabul
- Transportation in Kabul
- Nightlife in Kabul
- Restaurants in Kabul
- Shopping in Kabul
- Warnings and Dangers in Kabul
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kabul
- 14 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Kabul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kabul
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kashgar Intro, 16 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kabul Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Almaty Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Peshawar Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Bogotá Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hunza Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Fergana Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Xi'an Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Chitral Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lahore Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos