Carcassonne Things to Do Tips by LizC
Carcassonne Things to Do: 207 reviews and 457 photos
Tower & walls of the Cite
To us the Cite made Carcassonne special, and the 52 towers and 2 concentric walls form the awesome 2 miles of battlements made the Cite so much different than the other medieval castles, the 1st (external) wall was built during the reign of Louis IX when the town was part of the royal estates, the 2nd (Gallo-Roman/external) wall dates from the reign of Philip the Fair (13th century).
The Castle, the towers, the city walls and the lists between the two walls all belong to the French State, the remainder of the city is administered by the municipality of Carcassonne.
It is amazing that this medieval city is still inhabited to this day. Take the time go walk the walls, and be prepared to take a trip back in time.
More Reviews (9)
- Make sure you pack enough French...
- Take a stroll in the riverside park
- See All Take a walk back in time in and around...
LizC's Related Pages
Carcassonne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Carcassonne.........town of two parts."
- "On and Off the Road in Carcassonne"
- "Carcassonne - medieval heaven"
- "About the Cathars"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carcassonne
- Hotels in Carcassonne
- Transportation in Carcassonne
- Nightlife in Carcassonne
- Restaurants in Carcassonne
- Shopping in Carcassonne
- Warnings and Dangers in Carcassonne
- See All...
Explore the World
- Verchères Hotels
- Hakone Hotels
- Austell Hotels
- Garda Hotels
- Mount Faber Scenic Park
Badges & Stats in Carcassonne
- 10 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Carcassonne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carcassonne
- Posted in Travel Forum "Re: Murano Venice"
- Wrote a Review Make sure you pack enough French phrases!!! in Carcassonne What to Pack
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pont Vieux (Old Bridge) and l'Aude (River Aude)"
- created a Carcassonne Travelogue "Sights of the Cite"
- Commented on one of barryg23's Carcassonne travel pages
Photos in CarcassonneSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Carcassonne Intro, 10 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- Trinidad and Tobago Intro, 10 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vatican City Intro, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- California Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Utah Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- London Intro, 5 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nevada Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (11)
Latest Carcassonne hotel reviews
- Hotel Montmorency
- 206 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2013
- Best Western le Donjon les Remparts
- 435 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hotel de L'Octroi
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013
- Hotel Astoria
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Hotel Du Pont Vieux
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Au Domisiladore
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Hotel des Trois Couronnes
- 123 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Mercure Carcassonne Porte de la Cite
- 252 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Au Royal Hotel
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 23, 2013
- La Barbacane Citea
- 124 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Ibis Hotel Carcassonne Centre
- 120 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Hotel Central
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 18, 2013
- Hotel Montsegur
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 6, 2013
- Notre Dame de l'Abbaye
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2012
- Inter- Hotel Espace Cite
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- Basilique St Nazaire- 15 Reviews, 49 Photos
- Walking- 12 Reviews, 17 Photos
- La Cité Médiévale- 8 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Chateau Comtal Museum- 5 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Le Pont Vieux- 5 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Chateau Comtal- 5 Reviews, 9 Photos
- Porte Narbonnaise- 5 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Lices Hautes- 5 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Place Carnot- 4 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Musee Lapidaire- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
See All Carcassonne Things to Do