Lisbon Sports & Outdoors Tips by J_Antunes
Lisbon Sports & Outdoors: 46 reviews and 62 photos
Want to see the major stars of the tennis world while in Lisbon. In here you can do. Estoril Open in Jamor, really close to the city of Lisbon, is the main tennis event in Portugal. Generally it happens in May and is a WTA and ATP clay court tournament. This tournament has attracted big names of this sport such as Muster, Moyà, Ferrero, Federer, Safin, Kuerten and others. The female side is much weaker in terms of stars it attracts.
This tournament is also a society highlight. Many of the Portuguese high society go to the court to see and be seen.
There is possibility than in future years the tournament will change place to a nearby location.
Equipment: Bring sunscreen and a hat since in the courts it can be really warm if it is sunny
Address: Jamor Park, Cruz Quebrada
Directions: There are normally specific buses to take you to the courts. If not take the train to Cruz Quebrada stop (Cascais Line) and then walk about 20 minutes or pick the bus the organization normally has available.
Theme: Sports Watching
Lisbon has 3 teams in portuguese 1st division with their own stadiums.
1) Estádio da Luz, with 65.200 seats was inaugurated on 25 of October of 2003. This stadium substituted the previous one in order to host Euro 2004. It was the stadium of the final and it was also used to the show New Seven Wonders of the World. It is selected as stadium for the World Cup 2018 proposal by Portugal and Spain. The design of the stadium was done by the australian company HOK S+V+E and it has a mediamarkt and some stores and multipurpose pavillions.
The stadium can be visited and the entrance costs 5€, tickets can be acquired in the door 18. Schedules are 10h00, 11h00, 12h00, 14h30, 15h30, 16h30 and 17h30 (this last tour only in June to September).
The stadium is property of Sport Lisboa e Benfica the world club that according to the Guiness Book of Records has more associates (170.000). The last soccer champions title was won in 2004/05 and has a real eagle as a mascot that flies before the game start. In 2007/08 was 4th. The foundation of the club dates back to 1904 and its main achievements are the winning of 2 champion league cups (1960/61 and 61/62) and 5 finals. Other modalities are basketball, cycling, hockey, futsal, rugby, handball, athletics, etc...
You can get to the stadium by using the subway station Colégio Militar Luz/Alto dos Moinhos (blue line) or the bus 3, 64, 729, 750, 765, 767, 768 or 799.
Seven Wonders Show - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJT0LrFSt2s
Final Euro 2004 (PortugalxGreece) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUkBa7uMIqU
Official Website: www.slbenfica.pt
2) Alvalade XXI, with 50.095 seats was inaugurated on 6th of August of 2003. This stadium substituted the previous one (from 1956) in order to host Euro 2004. This stadium received the UEFA Cup Final in 2004/05. It is selected as stadium for the World Cup 2018 proposal by Portugal and Spain. The design of the stadium was done by the Ballast Company and a portuguese architect called Taveira. Some people love the design of the stadium other totally hate it. It has a small mall with a Lidl supermarket, stores and cinemas. There are also pavillions, a health centre, clinic, etc... The trainnings are done in the beautiful Academia where there is the formation centre (from where come from famous players such as Cristiano Ronaldo, Figo, Futre, Simão Sabrosa, Miguel, etc). The stadium is also used in summer to concerts.
You can visit the stadium and museum (combined ticket of 8€) and visits at 11:30h/14:30h/16:00h. The museum is open from 11h to 18h and entrance costs 6€. The visit just to the stadium costs 5€.Tickets can be bought in the VIP Hall.
The stadium is property of Sporting Clube de Portugal and has held throughout its long history (since 1906) more than 34 different sportive activities. It is part of the 3 main portuguese clubs and has the record in the world of olympic medal of a club. It is also the club in Europe with more trophies after Barcelona (13.000). The motto of the club is Effort, Devotion, Dedication and Glory and the symbol a lion. The last soccer champions title was won in 2001/02 but won the portuguese cup in the last two seasons and was finalist of UEFA cup in 2004/05. In 2007/08 was 2nd in the championship. Their main international record was in 63/64 when they won the cup of the winners cup. Other modalities are athletics (several olympic medals and more than 30 european titles as a team), futsal, handball, gymnastics (11 european titles), swimming (3 european titles), archery (2 european titles), full contact Karate (1 intercontinental title, 3 european champion, 1 world champion), table tennis (3 european bronze medals), etc...
You can get to the stadium by using the subway station Campo Grande/Telheiras (green line) or the bus 7, 36, 47, 78, 106, 108, 701, 750, 767, 777.
Opening Stadium - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bVuKjwPNV8
Official Website: www.sporting.pt
3) Restelo Stadium, with 32.500 seats was inaugurated oin 1956 in the place of a quarry. The stadium is used for concerts, for the team home games and the visit of the pope João Paulo II. The stadium has a beautiful view over the river and olympic swimming pools and pavillions.
The stadium is property of Os Belenenses a club that was founded in 1919 close to Mosteiro dos Jerónimos where today is their stadium. It is still the portuguese club with more international presences after the big 3 (Sporting, Benfica and Porto). It only won the championship once and has 3 cups of Portugal. They have several sportive activities besides soccer such as swimming, athletics or basketball.
You can get to the stadium by taking bus 28, 714, 727, 729, 732, 751 and tram 15E.
Official Website: www.osbelenenses.com
It is easy to get tickets to the games with the exception of derbies, meaning everytime Porto, Benfica or Sporting play together. Tickets to Champions league might also be harder to get.
Betting agencies such as http://www.hunchers.com/ are good places to check for schedules of the next games.
Every time a club from Lisbon wons the championship there is a huge party. Normally the centre is in Marquês de Pombal and a bus takes the players around town. Traffic can become cahotic.
Theme: Sports Watching
More Reviews (94)
- See All Penha de França - Church and Overlook
- See All Cocktail Bar - Albergaria Senhora do...
- See All How to get to... Óbidos
- See All Great Fusion Cuisine
J_Antunes' Related Pages
Lisbon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Lisbon"
- "My home town"
- "Lisbon, Portugal"
- "saudades de Lisboa"
- "Lisboa, probably the most beautiful city there is"
- "Lisboa the Capital of Portugal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lisbon
- Hotels in Lisbon
- Transportation in Lisbon
- Nightlife in Lisbon
- Restaurants in Lisbon
- Shopping in Lisbon
- Warnings and Dangers in Lisbon
- See All...
Explore the World
- Tysons Corner
- Santa Maria di Castellabate Hotels
- Vaca Key
- Dangan Castle Hotels
- Le Montenvers Hotels
- Otok Silba Hotels
- Nicosia Sports & Outdoors
- Guyana Sports & Outdoors
- Isla de Gran Canaria Sports & Outdoors
- Zenica Sports & Outdoors
- Nha Trang Sports & Outdoors
- Seychelles Sports & Outdoors
- Funchal Sports & Outdoors
- Elizabeth City Sports & Outdoors
- Winterberg Sports & Outdoors
- Boracay Island Sports & Outdoors
- Munnar Sports & Outdoors
- Palm Springs Sports & Outdoors
Badges & Stats in Lisbon
- 96 Reviews
- 144 Photos
- 61 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Lisbon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lisbon
- Wrote a Review Penha de França - Church and Overlook about Churches and monasteries in Lisbon Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Penha de França - Church and Overlook"
- Posted in Travel Mozambique Forum "Re: Visto de chegada no Aeroporto"
- updated a Lisbon Travel Page "J_Antunes's new Lisbon Page"
- Commented on one of mindaug's Lisbon travel pages
Photos in LisbonSee All Photos (144)
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 96 reviews, 145 photos
- Tomar Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha Terceira Intro, 13 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bragança 10 reviews, 28 photos
- Jakarta 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Elvas 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Arganil Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos
- São Pedro do Sul Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos
- Vouzela Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos
- Sabugal Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (8)
Latest Lisbon hotel reviews
- Feel Good Apartments Conde Barao
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 13, 2013
- Mercure Lisboa Jose Malhoa
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 3, 2013
- Amazonia Lisboa Hotel
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2013
- Radisson Blu Hotel Lisbon
- 245 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Residencial Roma Lisbon
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Residencial Dom Sancho I
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 2, 2013
- Alfama Patio Hostel
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 24, 2013
- Melia Aldeia dos Capuchos Golf Resort and Spa
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Albergaria Senhora Do Monte
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- Sete Colinas
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Tivoli Jardim Hotel Lisbon
- 157 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 12, 2013
- Lisbon Parque das Naes Youth Hostel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2010
- Residencia Nova Avenida
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- York House Hotel
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 30, 2013
- Hotel AS Lisboa Lisbon
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Churches and monasteries- 219 Reviews, 424 Photos
- Plazas and squares- 218 Reviews, 373 Photos
- Belém- 285 Reviews, 559 Photos
- Day trips: Sintra, Cascais, Estoril...- 86 Reviews, 132 Photos
- Castles and palaces- 136 Reviews, 291 Photos
- Lisbon neighborhoods- 156 Reviews, 291 Photos
- Museums and cultural centers- 154 Reviews, 377 Photos
- Elevadores- 88 Reviews, 147 Photos
- Parks and the Zoo- 99 Reviews, 190 Photos
- Grand structures and architecture- 186 Reviews, 313 Photos
See All Lisbon Things to Do