"Manteigas, a legend" Manteigas by J_Antunes
Manteigas Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 10 photos
It is said Hermes son of Zeus and Maya and the fast messenger of the gods of the Olympus, god of sheppards was once fed of the intrigues of the gods, decided to hide himself in his favorite place, an inaccessible place to the sides of the big sea that was at the time called the Herminian mountains. One day he woke up startled. The glaciar had slipped and opened a beautiful valley uninhabited. It was here, he said, he would found his land calling there the most daring and bold sheppards known in the face of the land.
The sheppards found the wealth and the abundance of milk and decided to keep this in form of cream as butter and cheese and is from being known by the quality of the products that they called the town Manteigas (butters).
Today, the city council has 2.800 habitants and is frequently covered in snow turning it into one of the hardest places to get to during winter.
It is called the capital of the mountain bike tours by the several events held.
- Pros:Mountains, view, nature
This area is filled with wonderful hiking paths that you can find more information about in the following website:... more travel advice
The trout farm of Manteigas is composed by a set of artificial lakes in the outskirts of town. It is not exactly an... more travel advice
J_Antunes' Related Pages
Manteigas Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Manteigas
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Manteigas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manteigas
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 103 reviews, 162 photos
- Tomar Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha Terceira Intro, 13 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bragança 10 reviews, 28 photos
- Jakarta 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Elvas 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Arganil Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos
- São Pedro do Sul Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos
- Vouzela Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos
- Sabugal Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos