"Terceira: Beautiful Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha Terceira by J_Antunes
Ilha Terceira Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 81 photos
Terceira (in English Third) was the third island of Azores to be discovered and that is where its name come from. It might seem like the people never cared about the place and never bother to give it a proper name. Maybe the place is really boring, uninteresting, uncharacteristic or the people in there have just no imagination whatsoever.
If that is your idea, think again...
Terceira is the third largest island in Azores (again number 3) with 402 sqm but the second in population with 55.000 inhabitants. Being one of the biggest in either population and area makes it especially attractive to visit. There are plenty of natural swimming pools, wonderful landscapes, the charming city of Angra, the caves, the belveders.... and yes, some cows, that tend to cross your path once in the while.
Location is everything in todays world and the same happened hundreds of years ago. Being in the middle of the sea between the americas and Europe made of Terceira a perfect position for a nice scale in the trip between continents. The safe harbour of Angra, protect from the pirates by powerful fortresses made the city prosper and become the wonder that is today.
But even nowadays Terceira is a major strategic location. One of the main american bases in the world, Lajes, is located in the North part of the island. So don't find it strange to hear some american frequencies while travelling by car or in finding some american style coffees. The base was created to fuel the aircrafts that couldn't make the trip between the US and the rest of the world. It was also the place of the Summit that forged the war against Saddam Hussein. Bush, Aznar, Blair and Barroso (hey who is that?) set here the attack on Iraq. The base is aledgedly used as scale in many flights with the destination Guantanamo. Many stories of the cold war and the war against terror are hidden in those walls.
- Pros:Landscape, nature, food and the beautiful Angra
- Cons:Still small, not the most beautiful island in Azores, cows and very quiet in Winter
- In a nutshell:Beautiful nature, lovely patrimony for some peaceful days
This youth hostel has a fantastic location next to the sea, with rooms with wonderful views and next to the Negrito'... more travel advice
In Angra there are at least two places where you can go for a swim at sea. The first is the small black sand beach in... more travel advice
J_Antunes' Related Pages
Ilha Terceira Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Flower of the Atlantic"
- "Terceira: Beautiful Island"
- "Picnic anyone?"
- "Terceira Island"
- "Ilha Terceira"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ilha Terceira
- Hotels in Ilha Terceira
- Transportation in Ilha Terceira
- Warnings and Dangers in Ilha Terceira
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ilha Terceira
- 13 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Ilha Terceira?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ilha Terceira
Photos in Ilha TerceiraSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Lisbon Intro, 96 reviews, 145 photos
- Tomar Intro, 20 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha Terceira Intro, 13 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bragança 10 reviews, 28 photos
- Jakarta 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Elvas 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Arganil Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos
- Vouzela Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos
- Sabugal Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos
- Lousã 6 reviews, 13 photos