"Discovering the world alone..." rp6686's Profile

Hi all!...

Why to discover the world alone? Why not?
In my opinion there is no other way of travelling but alone. When you are on your own you don’t have to care if others feel like sleeping all day long (instead of visiting 218 churches and 165 monuments which you don’t even know why they exist) or you can spend the whole day sitting in a café drinking beer and chatting with local people (probably ending up in someone’s house in a party without caring if there is someone waiting for you to arrive in the hostel and calling the police department reporting you as kidnapped).
More. When you are alone you HAVE TO interact with local people. So you make the effort to speak the local language instead of speaking your own language (if you decide to go abroad, of course).

What is the fun of going on holidays with people you get to see everyday, speaking the language you speak everyday, eating the (awful) food you eat everyday?
What is the fun of going on holidays and end up inside hundreds of museums (when there are probably hundreds more in your own home town which you don’t even know the name of) or buying tons of things you will never use, you will never know how to use, things you will give to people who will never care about it and will never understand its real value?

That's why I prefer to backpack... alone.

RPimentel

P.S.: I'm sorry if my english is not extremely good, my portuguese is much better... believe me! Please feel free to correct any mistake on any of my pages... just e-mail me.

Not So Frequently But Maybe Persistant Questions and Doubts

Why is your member name rp6686?
Well... rp is for my first and last name and 6686 is my professional number.

What do you do for a living?
I am a nurse.

Why?
I'm trying to figure it out but didn't succeed yet...

You are a Maurice Sendak's fan, aren't you?
Well... Actually, I never read any Sendak's book! More... I never read "Where the wild things are" the book or saw any "Where the wild things are" TV show. I found the pictures somewhere on the internet (I was searching Google for “wild” when I found these pictures) and thought it would be nice to use it as avatar... That's it! I'm so sorry if I disappointed all the Sendak's fans out there.

• Intro Updated Mar 18, 2004

• a2lopes's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2008 at 4:35 AM

Feliz aniversário Raul. Que esteja a ser um dia bem passado e que venha um 2009 cheio de viagens. E porque não vires ao Euromeeting aqu iao lado? Vai ser divertido com tantos vteers. Cheers

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2008 at 1:50 AM

Happy Birthday Raul! I hope to meet you in Cascais next year!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2007 at 9:23 PM

hi' raul. i'm going to sintra for a wedding next week.

• andrea.d's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2005 at 3:36 PM

Ola Raul, feliz aniversario! Espero que tenhas tido um optimo dia :)

• Mcclovis's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2005 at 12:22 PM

Happy birthday and happy new year. One bad thing about travelling alone is that you mostly take photos of everyone except yourself. But that is a small price to pay and I agree with solo travel too. Greetings from Malta. Peter

• lina112's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2005 at 4:43 AM

Happy Birthday from south Spain, have a great day. Felicidades. Lina

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2005 at 2:23 AM

ღ(~_~)♫♫I wish you a Merry Christmas♫I wish you a Merry Christmas♫♫I wish you a Merry Christmas♫and a Happy Birthday♫♫HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU♫HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU♫♫ HAPPY..(~_~)ღ

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2005 at 8:37 PM

Only visited you hp so far, nothing wrong with your English, Enjoy Amsterdam. Cheers, John.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2005 at 9:53 AM

You have nice supporters. PJ

• portgrl's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2004 at 10:11 AM

Olá Raul, Feliz Aniversário!! Espero que estejas a ter um óptimo dia! Beijinhos do Porto

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
rp6686's Profile Photo

rp6686

“One step after another, after another...”

Real Name