Frauenalb Things to Do Tips by yumyum
Frauenalb Things to Do: 8 reviews and 20 photos
convent church ruins
Of the convent church you will find only the walls. The church seems quite spacious and these days every so often there are concerts held in the church.
The original ground floor was from 1688. Today the building houses an old people's home. The half-timbered house in the background is the oldest building on site and was first mentioned in 1396.
convent church - front view
The convent was built in stages. First the east and south wing from 1696-1704 after the plans of the Vorarlberger Franz Beer. Then in 1727 came the west wings and the convent church by Peter Thumb.
From 1802 the convent was a factory and a military hospital and was partly destroyed. The west wing became a brewery.
The convent was ruined in 1853 by a fire.
abbey garden house
Opposite the abbey house you may see the garden house of the abbey garden through the locked gate. There used to be greenhouses but they have been torn down in the 19th century. The garden was constructed from 1738 onwards.
abbey - courtyard view
The house of the abbess was built around 1672 unter Maria Margarthe von Greith. Today, the building also houses a small museum.
Next to the small bridge crossing the Alb river you will find the Nepomuk statue. It was erected in 1725 under the abbess Maria Gertrud von Ichtratzheim.
Directions: Next to the bridge on the convent side.
More Reviews (8)
- Republik Baden
- See All Local art
- Hiking in Alb Valley
yumyum's Related Pages
Frauenalb Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Frauenalb"
- "Frauenalb and the King of Prussia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Frauenalb
- Hotels in Frauenalb
- Transportation in Frauenalb
- Restaurants in Frauenalb
- Warnings and Dangers in Frauenalb
- See All...
Explore the World
- Giv`at Olga
- Limni Volvi Hotels
- Isola di San Pietro Hotels
- Faroe Islands Hotels
- Seaview Beach Hotels
Badges & Stats in Frauenalb
- 14 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Frauenalb?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Frauenalb
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 114 reviews, 346 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 57 reviews, 205 photos, 5 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lüdenscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Herscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Offenburg Intro, 32 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dortmund Intro, 33 reviews, 97 photos
- Split Intro, 27 reviews, 101 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siauliai Intro, 39 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sion Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue