"Sevastopol - city of monuments" Top 5 Page for this destination Sevastopol' by yumyum
Sevastopol' Travel Guide: 161 reviews and 411 photos
I travelled here by public transport on a day trip from Yalta. I can recommend to come here especially if you read about Russian history and the Crimean war for instance.
If you come here don't miss going to the Unesco protected Khersones at the edge of town! For Khersones see the tips under "Off the beaten track".
Sevastopol was founded in 1787 by Russian sailors, shortly after the annexion through Catherine II. The city and its surroundings have 38 bays. Until in the 1990s the city was a closed one due the navy. Today both the Ukrainian and the Russian navies have their home here.
But already in 422 till 421 BC the Greeks founded Khersones. So this area has been settled for a very long time by people from various tribes and nations.
- Pros:History, sun and fun!
- In a nutshell:A must on a Crimea trip!
If you are not prepared for a 10-15 minutes' walk then you better take a taxi. Otherwise you can take a trolleybus no.... more travel advice
Khersones is since 1996 protected by Unesco. The town was founded by the Greeks in 5th century BC. This Greek colony was... more travel advice
yumyum's Related Pages
Sevastopol' Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A formerly closed city trying to get it's sea legs"
- "Sevastopol'-the city of Russian glory"
- "Sevastopol! Take a step back in time!"
- "Sevastopol - city of monuments"
- "Sevastopol-navy city"
- " SO SPECIAL... "
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sevastopol'
- Hotels in Sevastopol'
- Transportation in Sevastopol'
- Nightlife in Sevastopol'
- Restaurants in Sevastopol'
- Shopping in Sevastopol'
- Warnings and Dangers in Sevastopol'
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sevastopol'
- 13 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (176)
Have you been to Sevastopol'?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sevastopol'
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: EuroMeet 2017"
- updated a Sevastopol' Travel Page "Sevastopol - city of monuments"
- Commented on one of wishibroughtless's Sevastopol' travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sevastopol - city of monuments"
- Wrote a Review How to get to Khersones in Sevastopol' Off The Beaten Path
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 121 reviews, 355 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 57 reviews, 205 photos, 5 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lüdenscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Herscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Visp Intro, 26 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Offenburg Intro, 32 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dortmund Intro, 33 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 27 reviews, 101 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sion Intro, 30 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue