"Welcome to Ternopil" Ternopil' by yumyum
Ternopil' Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 127 photos
We came to Ternopil because we wanted to break our bus journey from Kamyanets-Podilsky to Lviv. We stayed overnight in Ternopil and were surprised what a pleasant town it was.
Ternopil area was first settled around 50000 years ago. In the 11th century pricipalities appeared in the area and consequently a fortress was built by the Seret river. The Tatars invaded and took charge for over a century. Then the Lithuanians came and the Polish who called it Tarnopol. The city received Madgeburg rights. It belonged to various clans like the Zamoyskis, Sobeskis and the Potockis. 16th centuries Tatar invasions were never successful but they devasted suburbs. The worst damage did the Turks in 1672 as they ripped everything apart. Only after more than a century later when Austria was in charge it went uphill again with the town. In the early 19th century came the Russians.
- In a nutshell:Lovely place to break your journey!
At first sight Ternopil is very Soviet looking. But there are some nice old buildings in the centre to be seen. I really... more travel advice
There is of course public transport in Ternopil. But since everything in the center was within walking distance we... more travel advice
yumyum's Related Pages
Ternopil' Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Ternopil"
- "Ternopil city"
- "Ternopil (under construction)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ternopil'
- Hotels in Ternopil'
- Transportation in Ternopil'
- Restaurants in Ternopil'
- Shopping in Ternopil'
- Warnings and Dangers in Ternopil'
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ternopil'
- 21 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (173)
Have you been to Ternopil'?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ternopil'
Photos in Ternopil'See All Photos (65)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 121 reviews, 355 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 57 reviews, 205 photos, 5 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lüdenscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Herscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Offenburg Intro, 32 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Visp Intro, 26 reviews, 108 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dortmund Intro, 33 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 27 reviews, 101 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sion Intro, 30 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue