"Welcome to Andermatt" Andermatt by yumyum

Andermatt Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 199 photos

We came to Andermatt on our way to the canton of Wallis/Valais. We stopped here for three hours between trains to explore Andermatt and its surroundings.

Andermatt was first mentioned in 1203. The name Andermatt means “an der Matte” which means “by the field”. The town is situated in Ursern valley in the Canton of Uri. A few traces of prehistoric and Roman life were found. Andermatt prospered once the road over the Gotthard pass was opened but with the opening of the Gotthard railway tunnel in 1882 it started to decline. Andermatt has now long been a region for winter sports.

The latest hope is the Egyptian investor Swahiri who plans to build a big resort for the superrich in the Ursern valley. Not everyone sees this investment positive as a lot of landscape will be turned into hotels, chalets, holiday homes and there will be a big golf course too. The plan is to start building in spring 2009.

• In a nutshell:Have a look before it becomes a big contruction site!
  • Last visit to Andermatt: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 2, 2007

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2010 at 2:47 AM

Interesting reading, and I enjoyed the different photo's to what most people take!

• abc37's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2009 at 6:21 AM

bei der Teufelsbrücke bin ich auch schon mit dem Zug vorbeigefahren.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2009 at 4:27 AM

Splendid Andermatt page with excellent photos! Teufelsbrücke certainly looks like a masterpiece to us. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Ah ! Swiss accuracy on the hiking times at the tourist office! There are many things to see in these valleys, and I may be walking on the mountains nearby this summer! Nice pictures. Cheers, Hermann.

• timada's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2008 at 11:19 AM

I like so much Andermatt ' s houses , flowers and landscapes ! Thanks for taking me there !

• Herwig1961's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Great tips and absolutely lovely fotos!Thank you!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2008 at 9:37 AM

Looks like a very nice place with some lovely buildings. I especially liked St Kolumban church!

• Oct 21, 2008 at 12:51 AM

Hello again Sonja! Winter is fast approaching and my adrenaline is rushing fast for another trip to a winter wonderland. I love this page a lot. Beautiful pictures and very useful tips!

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2008 at 2:19 AM

A great refreshing destination for hot summer ;-) I really appreciate your village review and pics as I spent most of my time on the Gemsstock peak during my last visit. Enjoy your German holidays ;-)

• Jul 20, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Ah, Switzerland! Your pages remind me of family holidays long ago! :-)

yumyum

“Just go and enjoy, you never know what's around the next corner”

Badges & Stats in Andermatt

Have you been to Andermatt?

Latest Activity in Andermatt