"Welcome to Andermatt" Top 5 Page for this destination Andermatt by yumyum
Andermatt Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 220 photos
We came to Andermatt on our way to the canton of Wallis/Valais. We stopped here for three hours between trains to explore Andermatt and its surroundings.
Andermatt was first mentioned in 1203. The name Andermatt means “an der Matte” which means “by the field”. The town is situated in Ursern valley in the Canton of Uri. A few traces of prehistoric and Roman life were found. Andermatt prospered once the road over the Gotthard pass was opened but with the opening of the Gotthard railway tunnel in 1882 it started to decline. Andermatt has now long been a region for winter sports.
The latest hope is the Egyptian investor Swahiri who plans to build a big resort for the superrich in the Ursern valley. Not everyone sees this investment positive as a lot of landscape will be turned into hotels, chalets, holiday homes and there will be a big golf course too. The plan is to start building in spring 2009.
- In a nutshell:Have a look before it becomes a big contruction site!
The alpine passes are very popular not only with car drivers but also with motorbikes. From Andermatt you have the... more travel advice
The tourist information office is located around the corner from the railway station at the Gotthardstrasse 2. Behind... more travel advice
yumyum's Related Pages
Andermatt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Andermatt"
- "LOTS OF BEAR'S AT ANDERMATT"
- "Day trip"
- "Andermatt, quaint city where the mountains rule!"
- "Diamond in the heart of the Swiss Alps"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Andermatt
- Hotels in Andermatt
- Transportation in Andermatt
- Restaurants in Andermatt
- Warnings and Dangers in Andermatt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Andermatt
- 24 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (176)
Have you been to Andermatt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Andermatt
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 121 reviews, 355 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 57 reviews, 205 photos, 5 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lüdenscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Herscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Visp Intro, 26 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Offenburg Intro, 32 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dortmund Intro, 33 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 27 reviews, 101 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sion Intro, 30 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue