Bauma Things to Do Tips by yumyum
Bauma Things to Do: 5 reviews and 14 photos
Until the first church was built in 1651 the inhabitants had to go to the town of Baeretswil or Pfaeffikon for service for took them up to 2 hours one way. The first church soon became to small and it was torn down in 1771 and replaced by the present one. You find it right in the center of Bauma.
Bauma is a good starting point for a hike. There are many signposts and worthwhile destinations include the small village of Sternenberg, Hagheerenloch or the Bachtel and Hoernli mountains (well those mountains are more like hills in the Swiss understanding).
Bauma is the hub for steam train events for the steamtrain club. Several times a year they run the steam train on the Bauma-Hinwil track. You can check for dates on their website. At other times you may see some very old carriages patiently waiting in the railway station for their next use.
You can follow this river in an easy and flat hike in both directions. The path along the river is also very popular with bicycles and in places with inline skaters. If you are tired just hop on the next train back to Winterthur.
Downriver on the way to Winterthur you will pass Rikon. Rikon is famous for its pot and pan factory but also for the Tibetan community which settled there as refugees decades ago and there is a Buddhist monastery which gets frequent visits from the Dalai Lama.
view from railway station
The old center of Bauma is not very big and easily be explored on foot. If you walk uphill on the road towards Wetzikon there is a museum in an old spinning factory.
yumyum's Related Pages
Bauma Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Bauma
- 9 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (176)
Have you been to Bauma?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bauma
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 121 reviews, 355 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 57 reviews, 205 photos, 5 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lüdenscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Herscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Visp Intro, 26 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Offenburg Intro, 32 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dortmund Intro, 33 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 27 reviews, 101 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sion Intro, 30 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue