"Bernina mountains by Bernina Express train" Bernina by yumyum
Bernina Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 49 photos
Riding on the Bernina Express is a once in a lifetime adventure! You can do it all in style with the actual Express train on which you hop on in Chur and it takes you directly to Tirano in Italy with panoramic carriages. For this train journey in the panoramic carriages you need a seat reservation and a supplement to the ordinary ticket. From Tirano you can take a postbus (reservation!) in the warm season to Lugano in Ticino. All this you can do in one day.
But if you have time, then I recommend that you take a return journey starting for instance in Zurich. A return ticket to Tirano (full fare) will set you back approximately Euro 100 (Dec 06) and is valid for 10 days. You can then stop wherever you fancy. You then travel by ordinary train which is sometimes actually the express train but you are not allowed to use the panoramic carriages but the ordinary second class carriages if there are any on your train. If not, then you will have to use the compartments in the two locomotives.
We did this journey in 3 days:
Day 1: Zurich-Chur-St. Moritz-Ospizio Bernina-Tirano
Day 2: Tirano-Poschiavo
Day 3: Poschiavo-Morteratsch-walk to Pontresina-Klosters-Landquart-Zurich
So you can actually travel up the Albula to the Engadin valley and go back by Vereina tunnel. Have a look at the map on photo no. 3.
For further information on the train journey please check
This is a high as the Bernina train goes.
Most carriages have a little map on the window table which is rather handy.
- In a nutshell:A once in a lifetime journey!
This is a famous skiing area. One run goes onto the Morteratsch glacier. The train stops right next to the ropeway... more travel advice
Here you can only come by train. The road takes a different route after Ospizio Bernina, so by taking the train you will... more travel advice
yumyum's Related Pages
Bernina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bernina mountains by Bernina Express train"
- "Highest open air railway in Europe"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bernina
- Hotels in Bernina
- Transportation in Bernina
- Warnings and Dangers in Bernina
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bernina
- 13 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Bernina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bernina
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 113 reviews, 343 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 57 reviews, 205 photos, 5 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lüdenscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Herscheid Intro, 37 reviews, 101 photos, 1 travelogue
- Offenburg Intro, 32 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Split Intro, 27 reviews, 101 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siauliai Intro, 39 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dortmund Intro, 32 reviews, 92 photos
- Visp Intro, 24 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues