Knonau Things to Do Tips by yumyum
Knonau Things to Do: 3 reviews and 9 photos
Another landmark in Knonau is the protestant church. The church was consegrated in 1519 to the holy Gertrud and Sebastian. It was first a catholic church and in 1524 it was turned into a protestant one. Two years later all the pictures of the holy saints had to be disposed of.
Over the centuries the church was changed a lot but the tower looks still the same. We didn't have a chance to look inside but it is supposed to be rather pretty.
You may only view the good looking castle and it various buildings from outside as it is privately owned by some German who lives there. Over the centuries this castle has seen many owners and inhabitants.
Apparently there was originally a place called Meyerhof in its spot first built in the 13th century. But later no traces ie evidence of that place were ever found. The present castle was probably built in the early 16th century and was changed many times. There used to be a water mound too. Over a long time it was home to various bailiffs.
I spotted the castle from the train window when arriving into Knonau from Zurich and of course we had to walk past to admire it.
The vicarage is in beautiful shape and still inhabited by the pastor. It was originally built by the city of Zurich in 1669 as a tithe building and feudal building adverse to the bailiff palace. Since Knonau is the last protestant town in the canton of Zurich before the canton of Zug the building had to be representative as the canton of Zug is traditionally catholic.
Address: Oberdorfstrasse 2
More Reviews (3)
yumyum's Related Pages
Knonau Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Phipps Hotels
- Shepard State Park Hotels
- Randolph Hotels
- Hèvremont Hotels
- Nova Sedlica
Badges & Stats in Knonau
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Knonau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Knonau
Photos in KnonauSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 113 reviews, 343 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 57 reviews, 205 photos, 5 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lüdenscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Herscheid Intro, 37 reviews, 101 photos, 1 travelogue
- Offenburg Intro, 32 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Split Intro, 27 reviews, 101 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siauliai Intro, 39 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dortmund Intro, 32 reviews, 92 photos
- Visp Intro, 24 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues