"Welcome to sunny Lugano" Top 5 Page for this destination Lugano by yumyum
Lugano Travel Guide: 394 reviews and 1,046 photos
I came here in the beginning of November on a day trip by train from Zurich. It was an absolutely beautiful sunny day! I have visited several times over the years but first when I was very little.
Lugano has about 29'000 inhabitants with surrounding areas about 56'000. The name Lugano comes from the latin word "lucus" which means holy forest.
It was first mentioned in the 10 th century. It used to be under Como and Milano dominion before it came under Swiss dominion in 1513. From 1515 until the beginning of the 20th century it hosted one of the most important and popular cattle fairs in Europe. After being a harbour for Italian refugees when Italy fought to unify, there were also independence fights in Ticino. In 1798 the canton Ticino finally gained independence and joined the Swiss confederation.
- In a nutshell:Mediterranean feeling in Switzerland
The villa as you can see it today was remodeled from a palazzio from 1840-43. It houses the city art museum, showing... more travel advice
This building or buildings belonged to the Maghetti familyand today to a foundation. Today it's like a covered courtyard... more travel advice
yumyum's Related Pages
Lugano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to my home !"
- "Welcome to sunny Lugano"
- "LUGANO -BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL"
- "Lugano - a day trip to Ticino"
- "Welcome to my hometown, Lugano!"
- "MY BEST VACATION"
- "simply my backyard"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lugano
- Hotels in Lugano
- Transportation in Lugano
- Nightlife in Lugano
- Restaurants in Lugano
- Shopping in Lugano
- Warnings and Dangers in Lugano
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lugano
- 30 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Lugano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lugano
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 114 reviews, 346 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 57 reviews, 205 photos, 5 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lüdenscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Herscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Offenburg Intro, 32 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dortmund Intro, 33 reviews, 97 photos
- Split Intro, 27 reviews, 101 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siauliai Intro, 39 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sion Intro, 29 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue