"Poschiavo - gateway to the south" Poschiavo by yumyum

Poschiavo Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 140 photos

The orignial settlers came from the south, the Roman empire and brought christianity. "Postclave" was first mentioned in 824. In the Middle Ages it made itself independent and started to orientate itself north and in 1803 joined the Confederatione Helvetica, today's Switzerland.

We came here on 29th December because we travelled the Bernina railway. On the way south we just passed through by train but decided to check it out on the way north. The small town with about 3500 inhabitants turned out to be a very pleasant surprise.

• In a nutshell:A small pearl with Italian feeling!
  • Last visit to Poschiavo: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 14, 2007

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2010 at 3:52 AM

That sounds like a great train trip between Switzerland and Italy! I have never taken this route, but will have to try it sometime. Poschiavo sounds like a good place to stop and have a look around.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2009 at 9:38 PM

I remember I was once in Poschiavo. That was a long time ago and I do not remember much. Thank you to update my memory!

• loisl's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Was du do so schön als Hiking in Poschiavo bezeichnisch, isch für üüs vor 30 Joor im Militär "umätschumple" gsii. Grüessli, Peter

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2007 at 2:10 PM

I see this town only with Bernina Express without stop!!! The next time I will do it!!! To make the journey on winter is fantastic!!! But I like to do it on summer so I can see the lakes of the Bernina pass!! Great page!!

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2007 at 12:43 PM

I cannot believe someone finally created a page about Poschiavo. And what a wonderful one! It's a jewel, mostly overlooked by the tourists. Hope it stays it doesn't change for a while ;-)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2007 at 9:16 AM

I can see why you had a pleasant surprise. Poschiavo looks like a lovely place!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2007 at 12:00 PM

Mushrooms and Birnenbrot - oh my, I get hungry !! I never heard about this place, but it would be one for me, with churches and the monastery and - ahh, I like that skull house as well :-))

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2007 at 5:54 AM

Interesting finding and beautiful mountains seen from the train :-) A must see! Cologna looks very picturesque. Door of Oratorio Sant'Anna looks great, too!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2007 at 2:19 PM

an interesting page about a place I have never heared of. Oratorio Sant'Anna is a place I would like to visit !

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2007 at 11:15 AM

An interesting page! Oratorio Sant'Anna building with its wrought iron windows is really unique. Poschiavo Lake seems to come from a tale... Thanks Sonja for sharing!

yumyum

“Just go and enjoy, you never know what's around the next corner”

Badges & Stats in Poschiavo

Have you been to Poschiavo?