"Welcome to Sion - capital of Canton du Valais" Top 5 Page for this destination Sion by yumyum

Sion Travel Guide: 121 reviews and 426 photos

We came to Sion in August 2007 as part of our holiday in the Canton du Valais. We had a lovely VT meeting with the local member tripack who invited us to his home for a barbeque and later took us to the sound and light show by the Valère castle.

Sion dates back to the stone age. But in 15 BC the Romans conquered this Celtic part. Sion was forthwith called Sedunum. In the 6th century the seat of the bishop was transferred here from Martigny.

• In a nutshell:Sion was a real surprise to me!
  • Last visit to Sion: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 11, 2007

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Great town with many medieval things, my style of place:) Merry Christmas to You!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2010 at 11:35 AM

You are right-the wonderful sites here would be well worth seeing, especially the castle and church

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Nice tips Sonja!

• white_smallstar's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Thanks a lot for this virtual tour. I am waiting for the real one! See you soon. *N*

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I LOVE the old architecture of Swiss villages and cities.Ill maybe visit Sion anyhow.Ill just be late :o) Thanks for stopping by Schluderno.If I wasn't afraid of being late for my ride I would have LOVED more time here.It was a beautiful day for a walk.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2009 at 7:24 AM

I enjoy visiting such ancient castles.... It looks like a great place....

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2009 at 3:56 AM

I must go back to the Valais soon. Your page makes Sion very interesting looking. Had to chuckle reading about the tipsy barman. LOL

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I recall it was a nice museum high up on the hill. I like Sion very much. I drove around here from Geneva.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2009 at 4:31 AM

Another interesting city with plenty to keep you busy, very nice. Love Castle Tourbillon, the views are fantastic. Commend you on your photos.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Somehow I never thought of going to Sion, but it looks really nice, especially the castles. It's great that they even have a “Sion roule” station, where you can hire a free bicycle, as in Geneva and Bern (but not Basel, unfortunately).

yumyum

“Just go and enjoy, you never know what's around the next corner”

Badges & Stats in Sion