Visp Favorite Tips by yumyum
Visp Favorites: 2 reviews and 7 photos
Favorite thing: There are lots of restaurants in Visp old town. When you come here, make sure you taste some local cheese dish and local wine. Wallis/Valais is a famous wine growing area in Switzerland.
The old town makes for a pleasant stroll around. Some bits are located a bit uphill but don't let that deter you. The old town is easily reached on foot from the railway station.
On the first photo you can the Blatter house. Mind you this has nothing to do with the current FIFA president Blatter but it is called Blatterhouse because of 2 former bishops by that name. The oldest part of the building dates back to the 15th century. It was extended in the 18th century.
Raron tunnel exit
Favorite thing: Coming from the north you will have to travel through the Loetschberg. On 15th June there was the inauguration of the new railway tunnel which cuts down travel time significantly. The tunnel is the third longest in the world with 34.6 km length. It starts in Frutigen at 776.5 meters above sea level and goes up to 828.2 meters and leaves the mountain in Raron at 654.2 meters. Trains can reach a top speed of 250 km/h.
If you are not in a hurry to travel, you can still use regional trains after 9th December 2007 when the tunnel will be used for passenger trains. The old lines is way more scenic as you will see some mountains and travel through shorter tunnels and the trains climbs up much higher.
More Reviews (24)
yumyum's Related Pages
Visp Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Visp
- Hotels in Visp
- Transportation in Visp
- Restaurants in Visp
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Visp
- 26 Reviews
- 108 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (174)
Have you been to Visp?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Visp
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 121 reviews, 355 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 57 reviews, 205 photos, 5 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lüdenscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Herscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Offenburg Intro, 32 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Visp Intro, 26 reviews, 108 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dortmund Intro, 33 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 27 reviews, 101 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sion Intro, 30 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue