"Welcome to Visp - a railway crossroads" Visp by yumyum
Visp Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 129 photos
I first came to Visp because the new Loetschberg railway tunnel was opened for the public on 16th June 2007 with big parties on both sides of the tunnel. In future ie from the timetable change on 9th December 2007 Visp will play a much bigger role for changing trains to eg Zermatt. There is no need anymore to go to Brig.
On 13th July 07 I came for a second visit because VTer MATIM and her family were holidaying here and I went to meet them. The surprise was that Ilse's daughter is also a VTer (VonDutch).
In June 2014 I revisited Visp and made it my base for a couple of nights.
Visp was first mentioned in 1197 and for a long time was only a small town with a few hundered inhabitants and local gentry ruled the place. Over the centuries there was even war over the souvereignity. These days the most famous industry here is the Lonza plant for aluminium. Visp belongs to the German speaking part of the Wallis.
- In a nutshell:A good base for exploring the region.
I sat here outdoors on a bad weather day with an aquaintance to have lunch. I cannot tell you anything on the interior... more travel advice
There are some left-overs of the old ring wall from the middle ages. And just opposite the old arch there is this small... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
VT meeting 13th July 2007
Written May 9, 2016
yumyum's Related Pages
Visp Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Visp
- Hotels in Visp
- Transportation in Visp
- Restaurants in Visp
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Visp
- 26 Reviews
- 109 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (176)
Have you been to Visp?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Visp
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 121 reviews, 355 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 57 reviews, 205 photos, 5 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lüdenscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Herscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Visp Intro, 26 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Offenburg Intro, 32 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dortmund Intro, 33 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 27 reviews, 101 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sion Intro, 30 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue