"Welcome to Visp" Visp by yumyum

Visp Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 96 photos

I first came to Visp because the new Loetschberg railway tunnel was opened for the public on 16th June 2007 with big parties on both sides of the tunnel. In future ie from the timetable change on 9th December 2007 Visp will play a much bigger role for changing trains to eg Zermatt. There is no need anymore to go to Brig.

On 13th July 07 I came for a second visit because VTer MATIM and her family were holidaying here and I went to meet them. The surprise was that Ilse's daughter is also a VTer (VonDutch).

Visp was first mentioned in 1197 and for a long time was only a small town with a few hundered inhabitants and local gentry ruled the place. Over the centuries there was even war over the souvereignity. These days the most famous industry here is the Lonza plant for aluminium. Visp belongs to the German speaking part of the Wallis.

• In a nutshell:A crossroad town worth a stop
  • Last visit to Visp: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 17, 2007

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2010 at 3:13 PM

What a quintessential village surrounded by lovely scenery. You captured the very nice buildings and sites. Nice job

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Hi Sonja, this looks like a great town to visit. I have taken the train through the new Loetschberg tunnel on my way to and from Milan. I believe we stopped in Visp but I didn't get off the train. Too bad, now that I see your photos.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Wow! What a view, and what a nice town and area, have enjoyed reading about it.

• Nov 12, 2009 at 4:00 AM

lovely Architectural style of the Burgenerhaus

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Hello, Sonja! ~ I like visiting such old places... Thanks for your introduction.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2009 at 2:56 AM

Excellent Visp page with many lovely photos! Burgenerhaus and Kultur- and Kongresshouse look amazing. We hope to visit Visp one day! ~ho & pang

• Mar 8, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Hello Sonja...'couldn't help but admire your Visp tips. I'd love to re-visit the place.

• Acirfa's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Giant market Halls? I don't think we did. We had such a lovely time there though, very relaxing and sunny when we were there. Unfortunate on the taxi but that is life at times, no big deal.

• timada's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2008 at 11:12 AM

I like very much your page about Visp ...so I visited again . Such a nice , peaceful little town !

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2008 at 12:28 PM

I find that there are so many nice places in Visp. I never stopped here from Geneva. Visp was a place to change train. I should visit this town sometime.

yumyum

“Just go and enjoy, you never know what's around the next corner”

Badges & Stats in Visp