"Barnaul in Western Siberia" Barnaul by yumyum
Barnaul Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 71 photos
When you approach Barnaul from across the new bridge over the Ob river you can see the big BARNAUL on the left.
If you climb the hill you have a nice view and see the giant sign from the back.
Barnaul has about 600'000 inhabitants and it the capital of Altaisky Kray which is not the same as the Republic Altai with its capital Gorno Altaisk where all the mountains are. But Barnaul is the city from where you can travel to the mountains as it is connected to Moscow with a daily flight and by train.
In Barnaul in Dom Knigi on Prospekt Lenina you can buy picture books in Russian/English about Barnaul or Altaisky Kray by Victor Sadchikov. A few facts out of the books:
Altaisky Kray is 167850 square kilometers and has 12 towns, 14 settlements, 7 urban and 60 rural districts including German National District. The population is about 2,7 million whereof just over half live in urban surroundings.
There are lots of old and new buildings in Barnaul. Whole areas are still made of old wooden houses and in contrast there lots of blocks of flats.
- Pros:It has all facilities.
- Cons:Industrial city
- In a nutshell:Stopover point on the way to the mountains
In the markethall you can see all kinds of food and outside there are other stalls. more travel advice
To the right of the railway station is the interregional bus station which has a huge board with the timetable, prices,... more travel advice
yumyum's Related Pages
Barnaul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barnaul in Western Siberia"
- "Siberian town"
- "Barnaul is twinned with Zaragoza (Spain)"
- "Industrial city in Siberia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barnaul
- Hotels in Barnaul
- Transportation in Barnaul
- Nightlife in Barnaul
- Restaurants in Barnaul
- Shopping in Barnaul
- Warnings and Dangers in Barnaul
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barnaul
- 12 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (176)
Have you been to Barnaul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barnaul
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 121 reviews, 355 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 57 reviews, 205 photos, 5 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lüdenscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Herscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Visp Intro, 26 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Offenburg Intro, 32 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dortmund Intro, 33 reviews, 97 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 27 reviews, 101 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sion Intro, 30 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue