"Welcome to Bolschoe Goloustnoye" Bol'shoye Goloustnoye by yumyum

Bol'shoye Goloustnoye Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 22 photos

I came here on a very short day trip ie I got the chance to get there and back with a transport dropping off a few homestay people for a couple of nights.

You are not likely to come here entirely by yourself but this is a great option if you book a Transsiberian or Transmongolian railway journey through a reputable company like for example The Russia Experience. This could then be part of your Irkutsk break to visit Lake Baikal if you want it rather unspoilt and prefer not to go to Listvyanka where everyone else goes. You will not be alone but get your own personal guide and you will not only explore the village but further afield. I wish I could have stayed longer.

Please don't be put off by the weather on my pictures as at the same time the sun was shining in Irkutsk. You can visit all year round but in winter it's best when the lake is already frozen.

• In a nutshell:Off the beaten path
  • Last visit to Bol'shoye Goloustnoye: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 2, 2007

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2010 at 10:55 AM

That's what I call genuine country life... You had good luck there!.....

• Marywhotravels's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2008 at 8:29 PM

Your pictures are beautiful and paint a very vivid picture of the region. It makes me long to go back to Siberia!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2007 at 12:22 PM

Unique and genuine, indeed. Your photographs are certainly excellent. The wooden houses are quite authentic and seldom seen by travelers. Thanks for this refreshing look at Russian life I'd never have seen otherwise.

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2007 at 11:23 PM

One day I'd like to see Baikal Lake...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2007 at 4:31 PM

I'm afraid I agree with Holger about the dogs, but otherwise this looks like an intriguing and totally authentic place to visit. With a name like Bol'shoye Goloustnoye it just has to be deep-down genuine Russian.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2007 at 2:22 AM

I love that region around Lake Baikal - how exciting to visit a place other than Listvjanka! Well done, Sonja!

• Mar 6, 2007 at 12:25 PM

You certainly are a "real traveler" you've been to some very out of the way places. Why does the shop need two doors in winter?

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Once again you have outstripped me in this Godforsaken place! I've left the Bakal in my reserve when Russians wouldn't be admitted to the West. Thanks Sonja for sharing!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2007 at 10:30 AM

Brilliant photos of a very off the beaten track place. So you didn't swim in Lake Baikal, oh well you really missed the chance. Unfortunately, I am afraid of barking dogs, especially when travelling on my own. :-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2007 at 10:11 AM

Wonderful !! This would be a place for me :-) I love the houses and the church - so marvellous and eternal somehow :-) Ah, the Baikal lake looks brrrrrrr.

yumyum

“Just go and enjoy, you never know what's around the next corner”

Badges & Stats in Bol'shoye Goloustnoye

Have you been to Bol'shoye Goloustnoye?

Latest Activity in Bol'shoye Goloustnoye