"Welcome to Kostroma" Top 5 Page for this destination Kostroma by yumyum

Kostroma Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 517 photos

I visited Kostroma as part of my trip of the Golden Ring as a member of a small Russian tour group.

The name Kostroma comes from "kostrum" a Finno-Ugrian word meaning "fortress" as well as from a choral dance rite from pagan times where Kostroma was a figure made of straw reponsible for life-giving and fertile powers of spring.
The town was founded in 1151 by Prince Yuri Dolgoruki of Suzdal.

• In a nutshell:A must on a Golden Ring tour!
  • Last visit to Kostroma: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated May 25, 2007

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2009 at 8:18 AM

I thought Kostroma most attractive - as were all the cities we visited along the Golden Ring. Nice page Sonja.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2009 at 3:27 AM

Great that you had the opportunity to travel with a small tour group. I think the exterior and interior of Trinity Cathedral looks absolutely amazing.

• Jun 16, 2007 at 12:48 AM

Another lovely page Sonja! I'd love to see the Volga one day :)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2007 at 10:46 AM

You may be surprised but I've never been to Kostroma though I dream to... Outstanding pics - I believe every church asked to be photografed! Let the next dog-show is in Kostroma and I shall be there!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2007 at 12:05 PM

Again I had to look at the map to see where this place is. Looks fine! Great that you went there as part of a small Russian tour group, rather than only with other foreigners.

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2007 at 12:35 AM

Very nice page, backed to my memories about the city. and i'm ready for the new impressions because next week i will go to Kostroma on my business trip

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2007 at 1:37 PM

Another fantastic page with brilliant photos. See you in in Prague ... *winkygrin*

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2007 at 12:17 PM

What an interesting place with great architecture and monasteries ! One day I have to do the Golden Ring as well !

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2007 at 4:43 AM

One more great page, Sonja! Vielen Dank und alles Gute in der Zukunft!

yumyum

“Just go and enjoy, you never know what's around the next corner”

Badges & Stats in Kostroma

Have you been to Kostroma?

Latest Activity in Kostroma