"Tomsk - a Siberian pearl" Top 5 Page for this destination Tomsk by yumyum

Tomsk Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 169 photos

In autumn 2004 I travelled the Transsiberian railroad from Moscow via Kazan (where I found a Dutch travelmate), Ekaterinburg (with side trip to Chelyabinsk), Omsk, Novosibirsk, Tomsk, Krasnoyarsk, Irkutsk (side trip to Listvyanka), Ulan Ude, Khabarovsk and Vladivostok and further overland via Harbin to Beijing.

Tomsk doesn't actually lie on the Transsib but has railway connection. It's a most charming town and we arrived from Novosibirsk by minibus, stayed overnight and next evening took the night train to Krasnoyarsk. We travelled off season and bought our tickets along the way.

• In a nutshell:Don't miss it!
  • Last visit to Tomsk: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 23, 2007

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2009 at 4:46 AM

marvellous place, I would love to come

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Resurrection Hill, History Museum and Red Mosque look fantastic. You've taken some very lovely photo's. Thanks for the wonderful tour!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2007 at 1:19 PM

The dog looks cute in the skip = I did like the wooden housing with its pretty framed windows!!

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2007 at 3:56 AM

wooden architecture of the city is really wonderful and i was glad I had an extra day there in my business trip to enjoy streets with wooden houses

• ndahl's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2007 at 2:12 PM

hi, interesting article; I was there in 1991 and there was a hydrofoil service along the river then

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2007 at 12:14 AM

These wooden houses and carvings are marvellous ! And especially the one on the hill :-) Ah, oh well, your hotel story sounds familiar :-)

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Sonja, I love the wooden houses with the carved windows. Fascinating page and can I ask you if you visited Ekaterinburg during your trip ? :))

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2007 at 1:16 PM

Another very interesting page with brilliant photos. I really need to explore more of Russia. But let's start with lovely Luxembourg first ... *winkygrin*

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2007 at 12:27 PM

One more "white spot" on my Russia map colored by Sonja! Dream to add my own brushes there one day... There is one of the best Russian university and science town. Thanks for virtual travel!

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2007 at 6:51 AM

Excellent pics and tips, Sonja! That hotel sure sounds "interesting"!!!

yumyum

“Just go and enjoy, you never know what's around the next corner”

Badges & Stats in Tomsk