"Welcome to Suceava" Top 5 Page for this destination Suceava by yumyum

Suceava Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 286 photos

We came to Suceava on our way from Cluj-Napoca to Chernivtsi in Ukraine. Make sure that you will visit the Moldavian monasteries from Suceava. Most of those outdoor and indoor wall painted churches are UNESCO protected.

Suceava itself was first mentioned in the 14th century when it was fortified by Petru I. Musat. It eventually became the capital of the Moldavian princes. During those times the town reached its peak. Once the capital was transferred to Iasiin 1565, everything went downhill. Under the Hungaro-Austrian rule it was just another provincial town. Today, Suceava is an industrial town with around 110000 inhabitants.

• Pros:Castle, churches and a most friendly hostel!
  • Cons:A bit off the beaten path.
  • In a nutshell:A good base for the Moldavian monasteries!
  • Last visit to Suceava: May 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 17, 2008

• Delia_Madalina's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Lebanon is a wonderful country but I might be subjective :) However, I see you've been to our local wonders. I hope you'll also enjoy Timisoara. ;)

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Hello Sonja, this is a very well-written page on Suceava with a lot of useful information. The hostel looks like a good cheap place to stay and the restaurant looked like good value as well. fergy.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Again I was thankful for the VT maps so I could see where this place is! It does seem to be "A bit off the beaten path" -- but very interesting. Funny that they have a bus line mainly for people smuggling cigarettes.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2008 at 2:46 PM

I loved the cat photo of course but also enjoyed the portrait of this town I'd never previously heard of. You two are experts in getting off the beaten path :))

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Nice page! Loved the opening photo of the cats!! Interesting info. of Stefan the Great, good hotel and transportation tips too. Wish I postcards of these places.

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2008 at 9:17 AM

I like this kind of fortress remain phtos. I only know Bucharest in Rumania. Wish to visit place like this .

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2008 at 12:32 PM

A lovely overview of a town I had never heard of, and particularly good transport and restaurant tips :)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Excellent little page about this North Romanian gem. I really enjoyed teh trip on the bus to Chernivtsi and the High Class Hotel and its friendly owner. :-)

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2008 at 12:34 AM

What a lovely place! Annd so many churches! Great page!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2008 at 1:35 PM

I did like the Molsovian style Churches but did not envy your watery walk :) Nice page I enjoyed the virtual tour!!

yumyum

“Just go and enjoy, you never know what's around the next corner”

Badges & Stats in Suceava

Have you been to Suceava?

Latest Activity in Suceava