"Welcome to Noordwijk aan Zee" Top 5 Page for this destination Noordwijk aan Zee by yumyum

Noordwijk aan Zee Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 228 photos

I first came to Noordwijk when I was about 10 years old for a beach holiday. We stayed in a bed and breakfast with my parents and my granddad. The Vuurtorenplein on the picture played an important role when I was there as a kid, as this was a busy place where to buy my then favourite fast food "Frikadellen". It's a big difference to see Noordwijk off season like on this visit. This time we walked here from Katwijk an Zee and then back again.

Noordwijk aan Zee was first settled by fishermen in the 15th century. In the 18th century the fishermen were restricted under Napoleon Bonaparte who feared that they would trade with England. The fishing industry declined further in the 19th century with even more restrictions from the new monarchy government. The last fishing boat left Noordwijk in 1913.

From 1866 the beach resort started to develop. First, it was only for the rich people who also visited the nearby flower farms when holidaying.

Today, you can find all kind of accomodation from Bed and Breakfast to 5 star hotels. When we were there the Dutch National Football team was just about to leave the 5 star hotel to be driven with police escort to their match in Amsterdam that evening.

• In a nutshell:A busy beach resort in summer!
  • Last visit to Noordwijk aan Zee: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 12, 2007

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2007 at 10:11 PM

Haha, these birds... Incredible, how cheeky they are ! I also remember Noordwijk from my childhood, we have been in Katwijk aan Zee :-))

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2007 at 4:32 PM

That's quite a long beach and a unique looking lighthouse too! I always like the coast, no matter what the season.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2007 at 1:33 AM

I liked "Beware sneaky birds" tip! I think Noordwijk is a dangerous place because one can stay hungry because of birds! Ha-Ha!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2007 at 11:52 AM

What an informative introduction. The fish hut looks like an interesting place to order food, and the birds do become bothersome, don't they.

• Nov 12, 2007 at 11:02 AM

oh, yeah, dangerous birds! even in Moscow that happens in the open-air cafes!! :-)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2007 at 11:54 AM

Englische Vogeltouristen auf "Fischfang" bei Holländischen Fischbuden ?? ;~)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2007 at 9:25 AM

It looks like the English starlings just flew over to the Dutch coast to steal some fresh Dutch fish. *verybigsmile*

• Nov 11, 2007 at 8:20 AM

Those birds are called starlings - I see the Dutch ones are just as cheeky as the English ones! :))

yumyum

“Just go and enjoy, you never know what's around the next corner”

Badges & Stats in Noordwijk aan Zee

Have you been to Noordwijk aan Zee?