"Welcome to Krekenava" Krekenava by yumyum

Krekenava Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 11 photos

Krekenava is a small town about 30 km south of Panevezys. It lies in Krekenava Regional Park. It is very rural here. There is no accomodation, no tourist information, no restaurant where you can eat, although there are about 3 bars and 2 shops. Krekenava has a big church on a hill and is surrounded by beautiful countryside.

I had a personal interest to come here as my mother's family reemigrated here from Switzerland in 1929 as my grandfather found an opening here as a cheesemaker. Unfortunately he died here the following year and I found here a friend of my grandmother who showed me around. So it was a trip into my family's past. I met very friendly and warm people that made me most welcome.

Most people here have their own garden and most of them have a guard dog too.

This is the main crossroad in town. You can't get lost. There are also several buses a day from Panevezys but best would be to have a car, so that one can explore the park i.e. visit the bisons.

For more impressions please look at the travelogue.

• Pros:Krekenava Regional Park
  • Cons:Hardly any public transport
  • In a nutshell:Beautiful countryside
  • Last visit to Krekenava: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 23, 2003

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Hello,Sonja! You have visited a nice faraway place... Thanks form your story! ><><><><

• Herwig1961's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Very interesting page.Isn`t it wonderful to discover this hidden spots?

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2006 at 8:39 AM

Awesome little page about this off the beaten track gem. I am looking forward to seeing some updates to this fabulous page .... ;-)

• ginte's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2004 at 9:55 AM

Never been there yet, but looks great:-)

• Grazina's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2004 at 4:48 PM

Yes, the old man that is praying...I hope he is praying for us and our journey into beautiful countries.

yumyum

“Just go and enjoy, you never know what's around the next corner”

Badges & Stats in Krekenava

Have you been to Krekenava?

Latest Activity in Krekenava