"Welcome to Telsiai" Telsiai by yumyum

Telsiai Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 21 photos

I came here with my mum because I was driving on A11 that day, having started in Krekenava, then visited the Hill of Crosses and later it began to pour down with rain which made driving very hard and I got very tired and told my mum that we couldn't make it that day to Palanga. Having read about the town in my guide book before I thought it would be nice to stop here. The sun showed itself only for one photo and due to lack of time we didn't have time to explore the whole town.

Telsiai is the capital of Samogitia (Zemaitija). The town is built on seven hills and it was first marked on 13th century maps. In 1450 it was first mentioned in the Livonian Order chronicle and in 2005 the town celebrated its 555th anniversary. In the 17th century the town began to grow with the settlement of Bernadino monks. Consequently the town became a center for many religions and in the 19th century there was a well-known rabbi school.

• In a nutshell:A must if you are on a indepth exploration of Lithuania.
  • Last visit to Telsiai: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 24, 2007

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2010 at 12:37 PM

What a delightful town center! I enjoy exploring old churches myself. Thank you for the lovely tour Sonja!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2009 at 12:10 PM

That's a great pictuer of the Maria Church -- ther are so many nice/churches and buildings in Lithuania and so rich in history! Norman:)

• Herwig1961's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2008 at 9:59 PM

Like this page,specialy the churches.Thanks!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2007 at 6:23 AM

A charming place = all looks lovely around here

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2007 at 8:12 AM

Wow, so many churches for such a small city. I really like this baroque one. And the hotel room looks huge !

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2007 at 8:13 AM

I've never heard about this city though visited Lithuania several times. It looks very attractive on your page. Thanks Sonja for the virtual travel!

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2007 at 5:44 AM

Nice new tips Sonja, wow thats a long time for the bishops palace to be closed

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2007 at 11:29 AM

Nice small page! And I think not so much explored by other VT members :) So, this page is valuable because of it also ;) Raimis

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2007 at 12:38 AM

very interesting place. Bishop house is very attractive. it seems i MUST return to Lithuania to see much more than i did :-))

• Jun 24, 2007 at 10:27 AM

Nothing like a rainy weekend to do lots of page building is there? ;-)) Nice new page Sonja!

yumyum

“Just go and enjoy, you never know what's around the next corner”

Badges & Stats in Telsiai

Have you been to Telsiai?

Latest Activity in Telsiai