"Welcome to Slunj!" Top 5 Page for this destination Slunj by yumyum

Slunj Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 190 photos

Slunj was first mentioned in 1390. Over the centuries it had belonged to various rulers. The country was invaded by the Turks. Later the Croats chose Ferdinand of Habsburg as their king (1579). In the 19th century it became Napoleon's territory. Then the Austrians came. The latest invasion was in November 1991 by the Serbs and it lasted until 6th August 1995. So Slunj had quite a moving history.

We came to Slunj because we wanted to take a side trip to Bihac in BIH while holidaying in Croatia. We read that there may be a bus from Plitvice once a day but the information couldn't be verified and as we didn't plan to stay at Plitvice we ended up overnight in Slunj as there was no more bus to Bihac that day.

• In a nutshell:There is more to see than just Rastoke!
  • Last visit to Slunj: Sep 2012
  • Intro Updated Jan 2, 2013

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Nice page Sonja! Brought back memories of my time here. Love your photo of the wall and the Church in the background!

• taigaa001's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Great pages and photos. Nice work.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Interesting page thanks...makes me want to go back to see more of Croatia and get to Bosnia...I enjoted meeting the locals in Croatia and Serbia when i have travelled there previously

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I certainly would like to see more of Croatia and BIH!

• y2ketan2007's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Nice page on a little known croatian town .Many buildings here are in a state of disrepair.Does it have anything to do with the civil war which took place in that country a decade ago ?

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Some of it has definitely to do with the war, there are plenty of scars.

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Small nice place, more to feel village than town. Someday I will also visit Balcan countries.. ;)

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2013 at 10:53 PM

nice shots of the old houses

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Slunj looks like it's worth a short visit. Nice page Sonja! Happy New Year!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2013 at 3:53 AM

Excellent little page about this rather unknown hidden gem of Croatia. I especially like the intro photo. The Panison Park was indeed a bargain.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2013 at 6:45 AM

An interesting place with a moving history. Pity you didn't see (or didn't write?) about waterfalls close to it. Happy 2013, Sonja! Hope it will bring you a lot of travels!

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Thanks Sergey. Which waterfalls do you mean? I mentioned the local ones in my Rastoke tip. Or do you mean Plitvice?

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
      Jan 2, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Oh, yes! I didn't see your hidden pics in your Rastoke tip. Now I see. Lucky you were! I would make it the main picture...

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Great start about Slunj here. The Pansion Park was indeed quite a bargain. Brilliant supermarket photos for the series "travels from a bus window".

yumyum

“Just go and enjoy, you never know what's around the next corner”

Badges & Stats in Slunj