Imatra Things to Do Tips by yumyum
Imatra Things to Do: 10 reviews and 16 photos
In winter you can view the contrast to when everything is under snow. Some of the walks downstream from the dam cannot be used as they are way too slippery and dangerous.
Opposite the State Hotel you find a museum. It's about the the army and used to be an Army barrack.
The State Hotel
Valtionhotelli or the State Hotel was built by the Finnish senate from 1901-1903 after previous hotels were burnt down because they were wooden. The hotel designed by Usko Nystroem is one of the best examples of the turn of the century architecture.
Directions: right by the road and the waterfall
power station in summer
There are several power stations in Imatra which use water power. It's quite amazing watching the fast running water.
On the 3rd picture is the "runner wheel" of a turbine that was in use from 1.4.1936 until 5.11.1989. You can see this wheel just by the power station with explanations in various languages.
along the river. There are some nice paths. It's really the nature that is the main attraction in Imatra.
This statue is nicely set with a miniature waterfall. It cannot be missed on your walk around the watery aera.
This is what is looks a few minutes after 7pm. They let music play with the spectacle and it's impressive to see how the water comes rushing down and finds its way. After 30 minutes they close the gates again.
If you come in summer before 7 pm this is what it looks like and everybody waits around the site or on the bridge for action.
Directions: just outside the center by the dam
More Reviews (9)
yumyum's Related Pages
Imatra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Imatra!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Imatra
- Hotels in Imatra
- Transportation in Imatra
- Restaurants in Imatra
- See All...
Explore the World
- Corniglia Hotels
- East Side Hotels
- Reunion Hotels
- Razo Hotels
- Lake Arrowhead
- Valasske Mezirici
- Los Olivos
Badges & Stats in Imatra
- 17 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Imatra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Imatra
Photos in ImatraSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 113 reviews, 343 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 57 reviews, 205 photos, 5 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lüdenscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Herscheid Intro, 37 reviews, 101 photos, 1 travelogue
- Offenburg Intro, 32 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Split Intro, 27 reviews, 101 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siauliai Intro, 39 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dortmund Intro, 32 reviews, 92 photos
- Visp Intro, 24 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues