"Daugavpils" Daugavpils by yumyum
Daugavpils Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 122 photos
Daugavpils was first mentioned in 1275 when the Livonian Order built a stone castle called Dinaburga 19 km from the today's city. The appearance of the present day Daugavpils began in the 70-ies of the 16th century. Polish, Russian and Swedish troops occupied the town over the years. In 1582 Daugavpils was granted the rights of a town. In the early 17th century the Jesuits came to settle here. The Jesuits were those who organized the first school in Latgale and arranged the first theatre performances in the town. Daugavpils became the administrative and economic center of Latgale. In 1772 Latgale, Daugavpils including, was incorporated into the Russian Empire. In 1811 the construction of a fortress, later used as prison, was started on the site of Daugavpils. In 1812 the fortress was attacked by the Napoleon troops. The further growth of the town occurred by developing territories round the fortress and outshirts of the town as well. The name of the oldest part of the town - "Vecâ forðtate" has been preserved to present days. South to the fortress there developed "Lielâ Forðtate" (Big Outskirts) which is the central part of the present-day city and whose major dominant is Riga street. In the second half of the 19th century Daugavpils became an important traffic hub. Daugavpils was connected with Petersburg, Riga, Warsaw, Orl, Ðiauliai by a network of railway lines; the Petersburg - Warsaw highway intersected the town and there was a route of small ships to Vitebsk. The city suffered badly in WWI as the front line went through there.
The name of the city has been changed several times. In the 13th-19th centuries it was known as Dinaburga, in the 17th century, for a short while, it was renamed Borisoglebska, on the change of the 19th-20th centuries it was given a name of Dvinska, but since 1920 its name is Daugavpils.
- In a nutshell:All you hear is Russian - was I really in Latvia?
It's a good idea to bring a map of the city or to buy one at a kiosk. There is no map anywhere and make sure the map... more travel advice
This little church is quite an eyecatcher. It seems to be pretty new or maybe just newly renovated. It is near the... more travel advice
yumyum's Related Pages
Daugavpils Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Second biggest city of Latvia"
- "Latgola and Sēlija"
- "My Home!"
- "Daugavpils fortress"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Daugavpils
- Hotels in Daugavpils
- Transportation in Daugavpils
- Restaurants in Daugavpils
- Shopping in Daugavpils
- Warnings and Dangers in Daugavpils
- See All...
Explore the World
- Breaux Bridge
- Szekesfehervar Hotels
- Ad Dammam
- Chongming Dao
- Port Angeles
- Kent Ridge Park Hotels
- Portland Hotels
- Montréal-Nord Hotels
- Harpers Ferry
- Atlantic City
- Placencia Village
- Province of Pangasinan Hotels
- Carrowmoreknock Hotels
- Shanghai Shi
- Mactan Island
Badges & Stats in Daugavpils
- 13 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Daugavpils?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Daugavpils
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 113 reviews, 343 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 57 reviews, 205 photos, 5 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lüdenscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Herscheid Intro, 37 reviews, 101 photos, 1 travelogue
- Offenburg Intro, 32 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Split Intro, 27 reviews, 101 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siauliai Intro, 39 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dortmund Intro, 32 reviews, 92 photos
- Visp Intro, 24 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (191)
Top Daugavpils hotels
- Daugavpils Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 58 Photos