"Welcome to Kaiserswerth" Kaiserswerth by yumyum
Kaiserswerth Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 48 photos
Kaiserswerth is situated on a former Rhine river island and is one of the oldest inhabited places in the lower Rhine area.
At the end of the 7th century a Benedictine monastery was founded. In the 11th centrury an imperial castle was built nearby. The castle has seen generations of kings and emperor passing through. In 1174 it was made an imperial customs station and in 1181 Kaiserswerth became a free imperial city. From 1273 Kaiserswerth was under the rule of other cities like Cologne. Since it didn’t get a railway line in the 19th century it stayed small and non-industrialised. There wasn’t much damage in the second world war either. In 1929 it became part of Duesseldorf.
Today Kaiserswerth is very popular for a day out for many people in the nearby areas as it is a peaceful, cute town on the banks of the Rhine river.
You may also arrive in Kaiserswerth by boat. These services are not very frequent so please check the timetable beforehand.
On the riverbank you may also see a metal meter on the wall which shows you that the river is occasionally flooded. Fortunately this doesn't occur very much these days.
I really liked exploring Kaiserswerth on foot. If you arrive by car make sure you park it outside the old town. The town is not very big and it makes sense to have a relaxing wander around.
By the Klemensplatz and in other spots you may notice some information panels with a town map and a list of sights.
I hope you will have as much fun exploring as we did.
- Pros:Beautiful old buildings, peaceful old town.
- Cons:Overrun on sunny weekends.
- In a nutshell:A must!
Sometime around 700 the Franconian Pippin II gave the Kaiserswerth island to the anglosaxon monk Suitbertus to built a... more travel advice
The founding of the church goes back to the missionary Suitbertus who died in 713. The church was built in honour of the... more travel advice
yumyum's Related Pages
Kaiserswerth Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Kaiserswerth
- Transportation in Kaiserswerth
- Restaurants in Kaiserswerth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kaiserswerth
- 14 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Kaiserswerth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kaiserswerth
Photos in KaiserswerthSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zürich Intro, 113 reviews, 343 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 57 reviews, 205 photos, 5 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 22 reviews, 126 photos, 8 travelogues
- Lüdenscheid Intro, 38 reviews, 109 photos, 2 travelogues
- Herscheid Intro, 37 reviews, 101 photos, 1 travelogue
- Offenburg Intro, 32 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Split Intro, 27 reviews, 101 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siauliai Intro, 39 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dortmund Intro, 32 reviews, 92 photos
- Visp Intro, 24 reviews, 96 photos, 2 travelogues