"Bilbao, Capital of the World" Top 5 Page for this destination Bilbao by timtregenza
Bilbao Travel Guide: 804 reviews and 2,040 photos
It is hard to describe Bilbao. Spanish, but not Spain, Euskadi, but not Basque.
True to its geography, it has always looked north, to the UK and Ireland and the industrial and trading States.
Although in the heart of the Basque Country, the strength of feeling on this issue is not as strong as in Donostia.
Maybe this is because people in Bilbao see themselves as Bilbaoinos rather than Spanish or Basque.
The change in the city over the last decade is marked. The city has gone from decaying industrial landscape to hip, intellectual tourism based on the flagship Guggenheim.
Bilbao repays time spent exploring, from the Casco Viejo to the corners of the Guggenheim, there is much to see.
The food is arguably the best in Spain, and ranges from simple Pintxos (tapas) to high quality dining. For me though, the simpler the better.
And if you can get out and explore the coast, then another treasure trove awaits...
The original 7 streets of Bilbao are in the Casco Viejo. The Casco still has the feeling of a city within a city, and is the centre of radicalism in the city.
Bilbao has an integrated transport system that is the envy of other cities. Trams, Metro, Buses, and Trains all run to form a working network at a reasonable price. Don't drive in Bilbao unless you have to! To see the surrounding countryside however, you may well need a car (e.g. to get around the coast or La Rioja
- Pros:Great food, drink, nightlife, football, culture
- Cons:Weather not as good as other parts of Spain
- In a nutshell:Bilbao is more than Spain
The Plaza Nueva is an elegant square in the centre of the old quarter (casco viejo). It is (a) a good place to sit in... more travel advice
Sitting in the middle of the casco viejo is the Cathedral of Santiago. This edifice was built with Basque money only... more travel advice
- See All The boat race
- See All Non-touristic Drinks and Pintxos
- See All Dady - Standard small bar
- See All Using the Polideportivos
- See All Duty free - don't rely on it
timtregenza's Related Pages
Bilbao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bilbao, Capital of the World"
- "Bilbo, besterik gabe..."
- "Come and explore Bilbao with Suvanki"
- "Guggenheim Museum and much more..."
- "Bilbao, Spain"
- "The Camino Norte (1st section) – Irun to Santander"
- "Athletic Club"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bilbao
- Hotels in Bilbao
- Transportation in Bilbao
- Nightlife in Bilbao
- Restaurants in Bilbao
- Shopping in Bilbao
- Warnings and Dangers in Bilbao
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bilbao
- 136 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Bilbao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bilbao
Photos in BilbaoSee All Photos (75)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bilbao Intro, 136 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basque Country Intro, 22 reviews, 20 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 25 reviews, 10 photos
- Brussels Intro, 20 reviews, 12 photos
- Rome Intro, 19 reviews, 11 photos
- Bucharest Intro, 17 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Spain Intro, 18 reviews, 9 photos
- Portugalete Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 7 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Segovia Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
No friends yet.