"Upper Michigan" jaeda's Profile
Lately, and more than is usual, I have had to explain where the Upper Penninsula of Michigan is located (or the UP, as locals call it). Being in troll country (aka the lower penninsula), people often don't realize there is a whole other world to the state of Michigan. I receive comments daily such as: "Oh, I went there once and they have that huge snow thermometer..." or "Isn't that part of Canada?" Sometimes these comments annoy me and other times I think it may be just as well that the UP remains a quiet sanctuary for those who call it home.
Pursuing a Master's of Social Work degree, I have had wonderful opportunities to learn about diverse people and places. Although I am not yet well-traveled, I hope to set out on excellent adventures in the future: Russia, Brazil, maybe even Africa.
Although I am looking forward to traveling far and wide, I feel most fortunate to find peace in the quiet woods of the north. I hope you enjoy the limited material I've posted here. Write me with any questions you have and I'd be happy to answer them!
During the summer of 2004, on the recommendation of a co-worker, I took my friend on a day trip to the dunes of Grand Marais, Michigan. The dunes are located on the eastern tip of Pictured Rocks National Forest llakeshore. Here's a beautiful shot of the "log slide"- a beach nearly 300 ft. high and 500 feet long. The view was breath-taking- as was the walk back up!!
One of my favorite winter-time activities is snowshoeing. Marquette has many great peaks for shoeing, hiking, and biking. In the background you can see Marquette Mountain which is usually open Dec-March for downhill skiing.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 35 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 2 Countries
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- Wrote a Review Farm to Table in Lansing Restaurants
- created a Laurium Travel Page "Laurium"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tony's Country Kitchen"
- Posted in Travel Saint Petersburg Forum "how much is the train from..."
- Commented on one of jaeda's Houghton travel pages
updated their Profile Page "Upper Michigan"
Top 10 Pages
- Calumet Intro, 11 reviews, 6 photos
- Houghton Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos
- Laurium Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos
- Novi Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 2 reviews, 1 photo
- Lansing 3 reviews
- Brazil Intro, 2 reviews
- Ann Arbor Intro, 2 reviews
- Honolulu Intro, 1 review
- Mackinac Island Intro, 1 photo
No friends yet.