"Eastbourne - Fogeyville on Sea?" Eastbourne by Kettleman

Eastbourne Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 207 photos

This was my first ever visit to Eastbourne and it was motivated by the chance to take part in a motorcycle rally for charity... okay, a rally and ride around the Sussex countryside with entry fees going to charity. How does that sound?

Whilst there we had a walk along the promenade to the pier from the Wish Tower field.

A "cuppa" in the Wish Tower restaurant was okay and we sat outside surrounded by old people's electric wheelchairs and mobility scooters! Fogeyville!

From the pier you get a good view of the pebble beach. No sand here, much like at Hythe where I live.

By the Wish Tower restaurant is a Martello Tower. This one is pretty closed up and as you can see from the top of the hill it commands a good view across the bay.

This is one of 74 built from 1804 onwards as defensive forts and gun batteries to defend against Napoleon and his French invaders. They never arrived and the towers still stand as a reminder.

• Pros:quiet when I was there
  • Cons:retirement capital of southern England?
  • Last visit to Eastbourne: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 29, 2005

Kettleman

“For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move.”

Badges & Stats in Eastbourne

Have you been to Eastbourne?

Latest Activity in Eastbourne