"Eastbourne - Fogeyville on Sea?" Eastbourne by Kettleman
Eastbourne Travel Guide: 96 reviews and 208 photos
This was my first ever visit to Eastbourne and it was motivated by the chance to take part in a motorcycle rally for charity... okay, a rally and ride around the Sussex countryside with entry fees going to charity. How does that sound?
Whilst there we had a walk along the promenade to the pier from the Wish Tower field.
A "cuppa" in the Wish Tower restaurant was okay and we sat outside surrounded by old people's electric wheelchairs and mobility scooters! Fogeyville!
From the pier you get a good view of the pebble beach. No sand here, much like at Hythe where I live.
By the Wish Tower restaurant is a Martello Tower. This one is pretty closed up and as you can see from the top of the hill it commands a good view across the bay.
This is one of 74 built from 1804 onwards as defensive forts and gun batteries to defend against Napoleon and his French invaders. They never arrived and the towers still stand as a reminder.
- Pros:quiet when I was there
- Cons:retirement capital of southern England?
Kettleman's Related Pages
Eastbourne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Eastbourne - an enexpected delight"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Eastbourne
- Hotels in Eastbourne
- Transportation in Eastbourne
- Nightlife in Eastbourne
- Restaurants in Eastbourne
- Shopping in Eastbourne
- Warnings and Dangers in Eastbourne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Eastbourne
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Eastbourne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eastbourne
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hythe Intro, 38 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 26 reviews, 17 photos
- Brno Intro, 23 reviews, 15 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos
- Ieper Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heiligenblut Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos
- Córdoba Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 7 photos
- Dover Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Prague Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue