"Big, Round, stuck in the ground" Top 5 Page for this destination Moeraki by Duffelgirl
Moeraki Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 78 photos
These crazy looking rocks began forming 60 million years, only popping onto the beach when the sea eroded the cliff. Limestone crystals are thought to be at the centre of these mysteries, they possess magnetic properties, which have attracted and consolidated surrounding matter. The Maori legend believes otherwise. The boulders are said to be Kai-hinaki (food baskets) that were washed ashore when a canoe was shipwrecked whilst out searching for precious stones.
There were many more boulders littering the beach here, but all of the more portable boulders (i.e. ones that didn't need a forklift truck) were scooped away by the souvenir hungry tourists. People just can't leave things alone.
Duffelgirl's Related Pages
Moeraki Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Devil's Marbles"
- "Big, Round, stuck in the ground"
- "Moeraki Boulders"
- "Moeraki - Incredibly round!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moeraki
- Hotels in Moeraki
- Transportation in Moeraki
- Nightlife in Moeraki
- Restaurants in Moeraki
- Shopping in Moeraki
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moeraki
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Moeraki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moeraki
Top 10 Pages
- Bristol Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- England Intro, 2 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- south island (physical feature ) Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Edinburgh Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Hungary Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Salzburg Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Budapest Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Berchtesgaden Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Arcachon Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos