"Sunshine in Donegal" Top 5 Page for this destination County Donegal by Krumel
County Donegal Travel Guide: 268 reviews and 769 photos
Donegal is one of the most beautiful counties in Ireland in my opinion and has the added advantage that it is not overrun by tourists (yet). The scenery varies from beautiful sandy beaches to rocky cliffs and from the gardens at Glenveagh Castle to barren-looking mountain landscapes and endless bogs, where the word “godforsaken” springs to mind.
We went to Donegal on a 5-day trip in April 2003, and for 4 of those days we had absolutely brilliant weather. We went from Derry to Malin Head, back down to Buncrana, to Letterkenny and finally to Bunbeg near Dungloe. While we thought we had loads of time to explore Derry, Inishowen and the Glenveagh National Park we still found that we did not get round to see everything there was to see along the way, and we were left with very little time to go hiking. Somehow we always got sidetracked and stopped at a beautiful beach for a while, or there was another magnificent view around nearly every corner along the way that was begging to be photographed, and all the time there were these brown signposts pointing you to some attraction (that you would of course hate to miss once you are in the area). The coast road from Malin Head to Buncrana was particularly strewn with these time-consuming but enjoyable distractions. Looking back, I’m surprised we actually arrived at any of our destinations more or less in time.
We got great tips for our visit to Donegal from VT member anisha1 whom we met in Beedy’s Bar in Dungloe for a drink. Thanks again, Moya, we would have missed out on a good few things without your advice!
One place I would have loved to spend more time in was the area called “Bloody Foreland” which is the coastal area north... more travel advice
Malin Head is Ireland’s most northerly point at the far end of the Inishowen Peninsula. At a place called “Banba’s... more travel advice
Krumel's Related Pages
County Donegal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dear Old Donegal"
- "Co. Donegal...One of my Favorite Places in Ireland"
- "Sunshine in Donegal"
- "County Donegal beauty"
- "Donegal - A rugged beauty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in County Donegal
- Hotels in County Donegal
- Transportation in County Donegal
- Nightlife in County Donegal
- Restaurants in County Donegal
- Shopping in County Donegal
- Warnings and Dangers in County Donegal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in County Donegal
- 16 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to County Donegal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in County Donegal
Photos in County DonegalSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 24 reviews, 118 photos, 4 travelogues
- Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 16 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- County Kerry Intro, 16 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- Watamu Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tsavo National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- County Galway Intro, 14 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination County Donegal Intro, 16 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue