"Sunshine in Donegal" Top 5 Page for this destination County Donegal by Krumel

County Donegal Travel Guide: 268 reviews and 769 photos

Donegal is one of the most beautiful counties in Ireland in my opinion and has the added advantage that it is not overrun by tourists (yet). The scenery varies from beautiful sandy beaches to rocky cliffs and from the gardens at Glenveagh Castle to barren-looking mountain landscapes and endless bogs, where the word “godforsaken” springs to mind.

We went to Donegal on a 5-day trip in April 2003, and for 4 of those days we had absolutely brilliant weather. We went from Derry to Malin Head, back down to Buncrana, to Letterkenny and finally to Bunbeg near Dungloe. While we thought we had loads of time to explore Derry, Inishowen and the Glenveagh National Park we still found that we did not get round to see everything there was to see along the way, and we were left with very little time to go hiking. Somehow we always got sidetracked and stopped at a beautiful beach for a while, or there was another magnificent view around nearly every corner along the way that was begging to be photographed, and all the time there were these brown signposts pointing you to some attraction (that you would of course hate to miss once you are in the area). The coast road from Malin Head to Buncrana was particularly strewn with these time-consuming but enjoyable distractions. Looking back, I’m surprised we actually arrived at any of our destinations more or less in time.

We got great tips for our visit to Donegal from VT member anisha1 whom we met in Beedy’s Bar in Dungloe for a drink. Thanks again, Moya, we would have missed out on a good few things without your advice!

• Last visit to County Donegal: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 30, 2003

• donpaul77's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2010 at 6:15 AM

Great Donegal info! I loved my week long visit up there. It is true what you say about having enough time to explore. It's the biggest mistake first time visitors to Ireland make. There are so many things that can lead you astray from your plans! :)

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Nice pages! I will be in Donegal for most of my upcoming trip to Ireland -- so it was nice to read about your experiences. Cheers, Bill

• highlandlaura's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2006 at 7:41 AM

Nice pics of Donegal. Was there for only one day. Hope to spend a few days there again sometime.

• ladyanne's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2005 at 8:45 AM

Your photos are great....you seem to have the same eye that I do. We took some of the same photos. Check out my Ireland pages and albums. Malin Head Church is one.

• rossandkelli's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2005 at 9:03 AM

Wonderful Tips! I'm looking forward to exploring on our trip in May.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2003 at 5:54 AM

Very nice page on Donegal, Birgit. I'd visited Anisha1 (Maire)'s page on the same locale a few days ago, and was pleased to see another outstanding representation of the area on VT. Thanks.

• Alain_Smeets's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2003 at 1:08 PM

Outstanding page with great tips, a bliss for one looking for info about Donegal.

• May 4, 2003 at 4:51 AM

Great page on Donegal with lots of photographs and tips.

• challenger's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2003 at 2:46 PM

Terrific page. Very well done!!! Great job! But you're in the country long enough to know that not *all* the pubs are closed on Good Friday. :-)

• May 1, 2003 at 1:45 AM

Wonderful page. Well done!!!!

Krumel

“Just can't get rid of this Africa-bug!”

Badges & Stats in County Donegal

Have you been to County Donegal?

Latest Activity in County Donegal