Yellowstone National Park Warnings Or Dangers Tips by Krumel
Yellowstone National Park Warnings and Dangers: 80 reviews and 95 photos
Feeding wildlife is never a good idea, and can alter the animals' behaviour. They learn to view humans as a source of food, lose their fear of people, and can become aggressive in order to obtain food from them. Obviously, the bigger the animal the greater the danger that comes with that. Bears that have developed a taste for human food may need to be put down as they may attack people in order to raid their picnic provisions.
But not feeding wildlife really extends to ANY wildlife, regardless of how cute and cuddly their little furry faces may look. First of all most likely the food is not good for them in the first place, and secondly even little squirrels or chipmunks can make a nuisance of themselves, if they think they are entitled to your packed lunch.
I was once at the receiving end of an animal taking away my food, when in Kenya a baboon jumped on my lap to grab the loaf of bread that I was holding. That was quite scary, and could potentially be very dangerous, if for example a child doesn't let go of the food and gets bitten by the animal. Some rangers from the Kenya Wildlife Service had witnessed the incident and said that they will need to put the baboon down, as it wasn't the first time that he has done that, and might teach the other animals to do the same.
So by not feeding any wild animals you may actually save their lives!
Despite warning signs all over the place that the water from geothermal features may be boiling hot, it is amazing to see how many people cannot resist sticking their fingers into it. I stood next to a group when they stopped in front of the sign, read it, and then one of them said: "It's running water, how hot can it be?!?", and put her hand into it. She was lucky that that particular flow was only very warm, but not scalding.
So even though the water does look deceptively fresh and cool, please heed the warnings and remember that they are called "hot" springs for a reason.
Most of the time the animals seem calm and docile, and possibly this fools people into thinking that they are nothing more than oversized cows. I was stunned by the number of people who got out of their cars to take a photo of a bison from close-range, with the most stupid thing being a guy waiting in the middle of a road with a huge bull walking up to him from behind, so that his friend could take a picture of him and the buffalo, when the bull was nearly level with him.
Also, you should not follow the example of the guys in the picture, who left their car by the side of the road to approach a buffalo that was resting in a field.
The required distance you are supposed to keep from bison and most other animals in the park is 25 yards / 23 metres), but unfortunately this is very often ignored, resulting in many visitors being gored by bison every year.
More Reviews (16)
Krumel's Related Pages
Yellowstone National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Yellowstone National Park, My Neighbor"
- "Incredible Yellowstone National Park"
- "Yellowstone National Park was fantastic"
- "Yellowstone National Park"
- "Yellowstone: Hot springs and shifting landscapes"
- "Yellowstone!.... a dream come true!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yellowstone National Park
- Hotels in Yellowstone National Park
- Transportation in Yellowstone National Park
- Nightlife in Yellowstone National Park
- Restaurants in Yellowstone National Park
- Shopping in Yellowstone National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Yellowstone National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lucaya Hotels
- San Rafael Hotels
- Iligan City
- Harlingen Hotels
- Negovan Hotels
- Isola di Pantelleria
- Spanish Wells
Badges & Stats in Yellowstone National Park
- 19 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Yellowstone National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yellowstone National Park
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Change travel map"
- updated a Yellowstone National Park Travelogue "Wildlife in Yellowstone"
- Wrote a Review Tower Falls about Tower Falls in Yellowstone National Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tower Falls"
- Commented on one of kazander's Yellowstone National Park travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 24 reviews, 118 photos, 4 travelogues
- Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 16 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- County Kerry Intro, 16 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- Watamu Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tsavo National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- County Galway Intro, 14 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination County Donegal Intro, 16 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (16)
Latest Yellowstone National Park hotel reviews
- Grant Village Lodge
- 302 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 16, 2013
- Fishing Bridge RV Park
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 20, 2013
- Madison Campground
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 1, 2013
- Canyon Lodge and Cabins
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 2, 2013
- Grant Village Campground
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Canyon Village Campground
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 13, 2013
- Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
- 910 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Dunraven Lodge
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 25, 2013
- Lake Lodge Cabins
- 285 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
- 126 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 12, 2013
- Slough Creek Campground
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 28, 2012
- Cascade Lodge
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 10, 2013
- Lewis Lake Campground
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 6, 2012
- Old Faithful Snow Lodge and Cabins
- 525 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Norris Campground
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 6, 2012
- Geysers/hot springs- 171 Reviews, 392 Photos
- Old Faithful- 48 Reviews, 94 Photos
- Mammoth Hot Springs- 62 Reviews, 120 Photos
- Grand Canyon- 60 Reviews, 109 Photos
- Morning Glory Pool- 9 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Wildlife- 67 Reviews, 146 Photos
- Waterfalls- 44 Reviews, 105 Photos
- Hayden Valley- 11 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Tower Falls- 14 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Yellowstone Lake- 13 Reviews, 29 Photos