"Inishmaan" Top 5 Page for this destination Aran Island by Krumel
Aran Island Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 75 photos
Inishmaan is the middle island of the three Aran Islands, between Inishmore and Inisheer, and it is the least visited of the three, which also makes it the most traditional. Farmers still go about their daily business, like making hay, and don’t really care much for tourists and tourism. While this lends Inishmaan a lot of authenticity, it is also one of the very few places I have visited in Ireland where the locals, especially the older farmers, look right through you as if you don’t exists, and often don’t greet visitors in the street. But nevertheless it was a very positive contrast compared to Inishmore, where you usually arrive with a mass of other tourists on the morning ferry, who all make their way across the island to Dun Aengus and then back again to catch the afternoon ferry back.
I spent a very enjoyable few days on the island with a few friends with lots of hiking, looking for megalithic tombs and other ancient monuments, and visits to the one and only pub in the evening. A friend of ours had rented a house for the week, and invited a bunch of people round, and we were only too happy to accept the invitation. We had an ordnance survey map which indicated all sorts of megalithic sites, but finding some megalithic stone in a field of stones sometimes proved quite a challenge. And involved climbing stone walls. Lots of stone walls….
So if you are looking for a relaxing time away from all the stress and hectic, Inishmaan is the place to go, where most of the time you hear nothing but the waves and the birds, but have still lots of things to explore, and spend your days hiking, fishing or just looking out onto the sea from the top of a cliff or a beach.
In June on St. John’s Eve bonfires are being lighted all over the Aran Islands, and after dark we could even see some in... more travel advice
There is a signposted walk around the island on which you will pass most of the points of interest on the island. We had... more travel advice
Krumel's Related Pages
Aran Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Aran Islands"
- "`Man of Aran'"
- "ARAN ISLANDS"
- "Great Island"
- "Walls of inishmore"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aran Island
- Hotels in Aran Island
- Transportation in Aran Island
- Shopping in Aran Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Aran Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aran Island
- 8 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Aran Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aran Island
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 24 reviews, 118 photos, 4 travelogues
- Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 16 reviews, 91 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- County Kerry Intro, 16 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- Watamu Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tsavo National Park Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- County Galway Intro, 14 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination County Donegal Intro, 16 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue