"Shakespearean Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Ashland by Rixie
Ashland Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 181 photos
Even though Ashland is located out in the middle of nowhere, roughly halfway between San Francisco and Portland, its beautiful surroundings -- the Rogue River and the Cascade and Siskiyou Mountains -- make the long drive worthwhile.
Ashland is also home to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and Southern Oregon University, so despite its remote location, it has the intellectual atmosphere you'd usually find in more cosmopolitan areas. It's a lovely little town -- treesy like Mill Valley and quirky like Berkeley -- that mixes Victorian architecture with modern shops.
You never know what you'll find in Ashland. Just after a costumed Shakespearean actor walked past us, we spied this Ariel Atom, an American-manufactured racecar, parked on the street. It was drawing quite a crowd. I was tickled to hear one of the onlookers, a woman in her 60s, remark, "That's a very interesting front suspension!"
Mother Nature is never very far away. This peaceful little creek runs alongside the crowded main street in Ashland.
- Pros:Charming town, interesting activities
- Cons:A long drive from any major cities
- In a nutshell:Best of Town and Country
Deux Chats Bakery is a family-owned bakery - Michelle does the baking, and Garrett runs the business end - that sells... more travel advice
Bring your appetite to Pasta Piatti -- their servings are huge. I liked the food, which is nouveau Italian, as well as... more travel advice
Rixie's Related Pages
Ashland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rogue Shakespeare Art Hamlet and More"
- "Shakespearean Town"
- "A Hippie Town"
- "Elizabeth's Ashland Page"
- "RachelWhitley's new Ashland Page"
- "Dene_Bish's new Ashland page"
- "Charming Ashland for quality theater"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ashland
- Hotels in Ashland
- Transportation in Ashland
- Nightlife in Ashland
- Restaurants in Ashland
- Shopping in Ashland
- Warnings and Dangers in Ashland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ashland
- 10 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Ashland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ashland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sonoma Intro, 49 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 38 reviews, 92 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos
- Paris Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portsmouth Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashland Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (63)
Latest Ashland hotel reviews
- Ashland Hills Windmill Inn
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Ashland Springs Hotel
- 360 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Cedarwood Inn
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Timbers Motel
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Stratford Inn
- 142 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2013
- Super 8 Ashland
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- McCall House
- 148 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Ashland Chanticleer Inn
- 191 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Plaza Inn & Suites at Ashland Creek
- 185 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013