"Southern Gentility" Jackson by Rixie
Jackson Travel Guide: 121 reviews and 274 photos
To people of my generation, the words "Jackson, Mississippi" conjure up images of fire hoses and snarling police dogs.
However, I'm happy to report that the Jackson of today, some 50 years later, is very much changed: a city with friendly, tolerant residents, a thriving arts community, good restaurants - Southern and otherwise - and interesting historical sites.
I would compare it to places like Austin, Texas; New Orleans, Louisiana; and Portland, Oregon - which are distinctly different, culturally, from the areas that surround them and have a thriving arts community.
Jackson - named after President Andrew Jackson - is host not only to local events like the Mistletoe Marketplace, but also to state, national, and international events like the Mississippi State Fair, the Dixie National Rodeo, and the USA International Ballet Competition (next competition: 2014). A National Civil Rights Museum is in the planning.
I would encourage you to make Jackson a stop on your Southern itinerary. I think you'll be pleased with your stay.
Check out the Jackson Convention & Visitors Bureau's webpage for suggested walking and driving tours and other tourist information.
You'll find this beautiful World War I sculpture outside the War Memorial Building at 120 South State Street.
The building itself was constructed as part of a WPA (Works Progress Administration) project in 1939.
Jackson is the state capital of Mississippi, and there are two Capitol buildings.
The one where this carpet photo was taken is the Old Mississippi State Capitol, built in 1839. It is now a museum that is open to the public and is also known as the Old Capitol Museum
The second is the New Mississippi Capitol Building, built in 1903, where the state legislature meets.
- Pros:Interesting historic and cultural sites, good restaurants
- Cons:Hot and humid in summer
- In a nutshell:Not your grandmother's Jackson
An outdoor courtyard in the War Memorial Building honors Mississippi's war veterans. The carved sarcophagus in the... more travel advice
The Palette Cafe at the Mississippi Museum of Art is a good place to grab some lunch. Order at the counter - they will... more travel advice
Rixie's Related Pages
Jackson Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Capitol of Mississippi Under Reconstruction"
- "jackson mississippi"
- "The Land of Many Waffle-House's"
- "Southern Gentility"
- "Jackson, Mississippi - Still a Sight for Sore Eyes"
- "Named after a president, famous for Blues"
- "Jackson - Trip #1"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jackson
- Hotels in Jackson
- Transportation in Jackson
- Nightlife in Jackson
- Restaurants in Jackson
- Shopping in Jackson
- Warnings and Dangers in Jackson
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jackson
- 11 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Jackson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jackson
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sonoma Intro, 49 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 38 reviews, 92 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 46 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos
- Paris Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portsmouth Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashland Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues