"Commuter Community" Laurel by Rixie
Laurel Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 19 photos
Laurel is located halfway between Baltimore and Washington, D.C. In the 1960s it was a quiet suburban town still ringed with thick woods of maple, birch, and pine. Most of the people who lived there then were military families or Federal employees.
Laurel's main claim to fame back then was horse-racing: the Laurel International Racetrack. In later years the town made the news in a more infamous way. In 1972 Alabama governor George Wallace, a presidential candidate at the time, was shot and paralyzed by a would-be assassin, and in more recent history, some of the terrorists involved in 9-11 were arrested in a Laurel apartment.
The town has changed a great deal in the past 40 years. When I went back recently, I hardly recognized it. Housing developments and apartment complexes have replaced the woods, and there are chain restaurants everywhere.
If you look hard, though, there are still historic landmarks like St. Mary's Church (shown here) and the Laurel Museum.
- Pros:Conveniently close to both Baltimore and Washington
- Cons:Very built-up, at the expense of natural beauty
When the Wright Brothers are mentioned, people immediately think of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. It is not widely known... more travel advice
This is a plain little restaurant with a dark interior, but don't let its unimpressive looks put you off: the food here... more travel advice
Rixie's Related Pages
Laurel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Commuter Community"
- "Road Trip Stops"
- "grettah's new Laurel Page"
- "On the MARC line"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Laurel
- 5 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Laurel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Laurel
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sonoma Intro, 49 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 38 reviews, 92 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos
- Paris Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portsmouth Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashland Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues