Kailua Things to Do Tips by Rixie Top 5 Page for this destination
Kailua Things to Do: 21 reviews and 43 photos
Walking in the sand
Kailua Beach is not only beautiful and unspoiled, but it's also a very long beach that's perfect for walks. It's amazing how your worries just fall away when you've got sand under your feet and the sound of the waves in your ears.
Offerings at Ulupo Heiau
The remains of a huge heiau (an ancient Hawaiian temple) can be found on the outskirts of Kailua, sandwiched in between the YMCA and a taro patch (lo'i). It is a serene, spiritual place where you can picture what old Hawai'i was like.
Ulupo Heiau is one of the oldest in the Islands. Although some sensational reports claim that it was used by royalty for human sacrifice, most historians disagree, saying that it was more likely a place for commoners to worship. It was also the largest heiau on Oahu, and its lo'i and 450 acre fish pond provided food for an estimated 17,000 people in the area.
After the fall of the Hawaiian monarchy, Ulupo Heiau was looted and fell into ruins. However, an ongoing restoration project, staffed by volunteers, was begun in 2005, and you can now discern the shape of the original massive structure. Native plants are being reintroduced, and there are plans eventually to make the heiau, now a state historical monument, into a cultural and educational center.
When you visit, please be respectful and remember that this is a sacred place of worship. Be careful not to walk on or remove the stones.
Address: Manu Oo Street
Directions: Kailua Rd towards Hwy 61. After you pass the high school on your left and the YMCA on your right, turn right. Rt on Manu Aloha, and rt on Manu Oo. Park in the YMCA lot and follow the sidewalk behind the Y until you see the entrance to the heiau.
More Reviews (8)
Rixie's Related Pages
Kailua Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Laid-Back Beach Town"
- "Kailua, on the Windward Side"
- "Keeping It Kailua"
- "Aloha, Kailua"
- "Welcome to Haolewood"
- "Kailua Hawaii"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kailua
- Hotels in Kailua
- Nightlife in Kailua
- Restaurants in Kailua
- Shopping in Kailua
- See All...
Explore the World
- White Haven Hotels
- Santa Claus Hotels
- João Pessoa Hotels
- Melbu Hotels
- Cooke City
Badges & Stats in Kailua
- 10 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Kailua?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kailua
Photos in KailuaSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sonoma Intro, 49 reviews, 111 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 38 reviews, 92 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 48 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos
- Paris Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portsmouth Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ashland Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues